Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dual-Blade Coupling

Default Dual-Blade Coupling

I am actually looking at just using a Male and Female PVC adapter to connect and disconnect the two hilts. However...since they are pipe threads, they are tapered to seal tighter the more you tighten them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to loose the threads, so I can connect and disconnect them easily?

If you want the two halves to come apart quickly and easily, I have one possible solution.

Get PVC pieces that slip together instead of thread together, then drill a hole through both pieces and insert a peg in the hole. Remove the peg when you want to separate the sabers. I've done this previously to make a quick-disassemble walking stick that fits in my suitcase while travelling.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Has anyone tried Rare Earth Magnets? Demon Bunnyman & I were talking about this a few weeks ago too. As you can get them in large sizes and different draw weights, you might be able to get a set that's 1.25" diameter and 20 or 30 lbs. draw. Put one each in each pommel.... Only draw back is speaker location....

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

I thought about magnets, but also came to the conclusion about speaker placement. If they're that strong, I'm not sure how far away the speaker would need to be placed to not be effected.

Has anyone experimented with this idea yet?

Which idea? A saber-staff coupler or a specific way of making a saber staff coupler? If you mean a saber-staff coupler in general, I suggest you use the search feature of this forum. They have been made before and it has been discussed before, more than once.
    Last edited by ARKM; 06-03-2012 at 10:50 AM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I went with a male female PVC adapters. I had to cut off the threaded male section, cut off a portion of the top (before the taper starts) and then put the male adapter back together, but it looks good and seems sturdy.

Sorry about the blurriness of the pictures
    IMAG0215.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg

I then sanded it down and made it smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Boj-Vaati Mau View Post
    Has anyone tried Rare Earth Magnets? Demon Bunnyman & I were talking about this a few weeks ago too. As you can get them in large sizes and different draw weights, you might be able to get a set that's 1.25" diameter and 20 or 30 lbs. draw. Put one each in each pommel.... Only draw back is speaker location....
    I talked to my dad who is an electrical engineer about this. He's not positive, but he doesn't think they'd interfere with the speakers at all or that much unless they were in physical contact. Plus after you mount the magnet in the pommel, you could potentially shield the other side to further reduce the chances. However, I did not try that approach...this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ARKM View Post
    Which idea? A saber-staff coupler or a specific way of making a saber staff coupler? If you mean a saber-staff coupler in general, I suggest you use the search feature of this forum. They have been made before and it has been discussed before, more than once.
    Sorry, I was specifically referring to the rare earth magnets coupler idea.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Magnets and electricity don't mix. Magnets large enough to maintain a solid connection, would mess with the battery's flow of energy... making a possible battery failure or explosion.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...