Thread: Question about Chassis'

Default Question about Chassis'

So i'm still pretty green on the saber making front, i've done several stunts but thats about it. i've seen people talk/use chassis a lot in their sabers. and maybe since im a visual learner instead of a reading learner i'm missing the obvious. but my question is, when using a chassis, i'm assuming you're making the chassis only long enough for the battery pack/soundboard? or wouldnt you end up hitting switch wires/leads from hang down? of course if you use a switch box, then wouldnt the wires still interfer with the chassis? or is the chassis more of a permanent thing and you put it in, and then your switch? but then again wouldnt that negate being able to slide the chassis outwards if you needed to?

again sorry if im just missing it, but that was confusing me a good bit lol.

Thanks
    Jhad
    Jhadious Aran

Talking only from personal experience, I wanted my chassis to be just long enough to hold the batteries and soundboard. This let me hold it whilst I screwed the main hilt together, thus preventing twisted wires.I think I have averaged about 6 turns screwing together MHS pieces. That saves quite a bit lengthwise in wire (not having to twist it) My switches could not be included in the chassis, as you point out, because of being held in place through the actual saber. But you could make one that contains the switches and even recharge port through various means. So many options, I am sure others here have better descriptions and ideas than I do.

gotcha, thank you for the reply brett. i definetly suffer from the twisted wires syndrome lol. thus half the reason this made me so curious, and as you pointed out it made it easier for you to screw the parts together without twisting. thank you very much!

Jhad
    Jhadious Aran

Yes, a chassis is designed to hold all or most of your components inside the hilt. A lot are added just to add some Bling to it as well. I think the most common use for a chassis is in a Graflex. It is basically split in half (the hilt). When you remove the lower section of the hilt you see the bottom half of the chassis. Adds to the wow factor of building a saber. But like mentioned above, it keeps evrything nice and tidy. TCSS sells parts to build a chassis or you can make one yourself using found items.

This is one I made a few years ago for my Graflex. You can see that the speaker is attached to the chassis so when I open it up no wires get twisted.

Here is a tip for those wanting to avoid twisted wires after screwing on your pommel. If the wires are twisted you can put extra stress on them when dueling, that's not good. Before screwing your pommel on, twist your pommel several times counter clockwise. Yes, this will twist your wires, dont twist too much. Now, when you screw your pommel on by screwing it on clockwise, your wires will untwist inside the hilt thus putting no extra tension on them once the pommel is on.

very nice director, i love the look of chassis, and i think when i finally do my PC saber i'll do one, i just couldnt really put to any use in the stunts i've made, or rather i just couldnt figure it out. with all the pictures posted it helps out hugely. your chassis looks great, and i love the graflex, i've wanted one so that i could do a luke esb hilt but i've not had the luck in getting a graflex :/

but i do thank you all for the pics/help on the chassis, cant wait to get the funds to finally do a PC saber with my first chassis
    Jhadious Aran

Hey, your welcome! Had I known about TCSS disks back then I wouldn't have used poker chips for mine! LoL.

My next saber will use TCSS disks, just haven't settled on a design yet.

Quote Originally Posted by directorcass View Post
    Hey, your welcome! Had I known about TCSS disks back then I wouldn't have used poker chips for mine! LoL.

My next saber will use TCSS disks, just haven't settled on a design yet.
    hey if it works it works
    Jhadious Aran