Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Retracting blade

Ain't that the truth! haha
    Follow Your Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by psab keel View Post
    Back the early days of LED saber building (I sound like an old man saying that, hahaha) the godfather of this whole tech being used in lightsaber props, Pippmaster, tried building this very thing in 2001. His original concept was to build a segmented polycarbonate blade with small clusters of 5mm or 3mm LED's that would illuminate it. It would be sectioned off in a way that would eliminate the prominent rings made from the blade being segmented, though how he achieved this I don't know for sure. It never panned out, though he never fully revealed all of his work as he wanted to perfect it before he released his ideas to anyone. Back in those days the tech was so new that everyone collaborated together as a tight knit group because the more we did the further we all gained momentum toward the goal. Now that's not to say that this doesn't still happen, but I think as the hobby has grown, people have been more cautious, and rightly so, to release information regarding huge advancements in the tech because now there are people who make their living this way and have to keep their developments close to the chest until released, but anyway...

As far as I understand, he was the original designer of the LED ladder or string blade design that was ultimately used by Master Replicas. He was also one of the first to use a single high power Luxeon LED to illuminate a saber blade. Sadly I don't know what happened to him or his work as he left the hobby many years ago. I would suggest experimenting and seeing what you can come up with. One of the things I can say is that it would be really refreshing to us older members to see a newcomer actually experiment and post results rather than just theorize as many do. Try some ideas out and let us know what you come up with and share your results with us. : )
    Bump. I happened along this thread by chance as, ironically, I was trying to find current contact info for Pippmaster.

I knew his work included solutions to obscuring the "rings," the connection points between the polycarbonate segments and achieving an even luminescence throughout the length of the blade, but had issues with the automation of the extend/retract function.

I believe I may have solved that issue, and am attempting to construct a prototype now.

I am certain I will also run into the issue with the "rings," and hoped if I shared my technical findings with Pippmaster, he might share his lighting findings with me.

One can only hope, hm?

I know this is ridiculous to ask, but can't hurt: anyone have any clue how to contact him nowadays? I found an old message board where he posted *some* of his findings (mostly non-specific) in 2002. I tried sending him a message through that, but doubt he checks an account he stopped posting to over 4 years ago.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I like the staff idea.... with a spring mounted extension of some kind you could simulate a nice effect.. might be something someone may have a go at
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

See what happened was.... Pippmaster stumbled apon a way to make a fully functional lightsaber and has been contracted to lucasfilm... Excuse me... Disney. they are hiding him in a secret lab until he can perfect it... Lol. I wish!