Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mounting a Luxeon on the star

Hmm yeah... I've took a look at some color disc sabers and I think I'll be going for a green LED, cause I want it reeeeaally bright

^^^^^^^
    white p4 run off US 2.5 board with clear thick walled blade

TCSS white difuser and 10 degree lens and TCSS color disc
    ================================================== ==============================

^^^^^^^
    white p4 run off US 2.5 board luxIII overdrive with special white thick walled blade

10 degree lens and TCSS color disc
    ================================================== ==============================

color disc are nice i have had them for years and i have used a few diffrent white LEDs but if you want a good cyan a RGB LED is a good way to go.
    this is a 3W RGB that i had in a US 2.5 saber and it was a nice color.

here i have a white rebe, led and a white p4 led and both have the same 3.7v Li-ion setup and are useing the same blade lens and color disc to get a purple blade
    rebel white with color disc

p4 white and color disc (same p4 white as in above photos)

now as you can see the rebel looks more white then purple but it is a tad dimer to the eye but im not happy with the purple it made. the p4 looks close to the photo but with a ok purple and again i am not happy with the purple. now i am going to show you the purple i got with the 3W RGB LED and i am happyer with the result but it is darker then the photo makes it look but it is a nice purple.... oh and i have this in a MR FX Mace saber.

3W RGB i cant remember what resistors i used on the blue

so... for me i would use a RGB LED to get the cyan you want but i would use a 10W RGBA/RGBW and i think you would be happy. that being said try color disc and RGB and see what you get it will help you learn more about this hobby we all love. i hope this helps you decide on what step to take next... if you where after a nice yellow i would just have said rebel white and a yellow TCSS color disc =P

good luck

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Yeah, I'm a newbie, so I'll do my first steps in saberbuilding with single luxeon. An RGB WOULD be nice, of course... especially with the new Crystal Focus 6.
    And the colour discs... I'm stil not that convinced. But on the other hand: being able to change the saber colour IS a cool thing. Are they still brighter than a simple MR saber?

Quote Originally Posted by tedstardust View Post
    Yeah, I'm a newbie, so I'll do my first steps in saberbuilding with single luxeon. An RGB WOULD be nice, of course... especially with the new Crystal Focus 6.
    And the colour discs... I'm stil not that convinced. But on the other hand: being able to change the saber colour IS a cool thing. Are they still brighter than a simple MR saber?
    Just a note about color discs and non-white LED's. It won't work.
    The discs filter out colors only letting the color of the disc through.

If you already have a specific color LED you cannot filter it to get a different color. Your filter will block ALL the light if it is not the same wavelength as the LED the other colors are not present so will not come through. You cannot buy a green led and use a blue filter to get cyan, you cannot buy a red led and use a blue filter to get purple. Light doesn't work that way.

Just wanted to make sure you knew this before purchasing things and finding out you can't.

Yep I did pay attention in physics back in school. That's why I'm struggeling with the decision so bad, since I don't want to put in a white LED just to see, that I don't like it with the color discs. In that case I'd go for a green lux rebel... witthout color discs

Experience has shown time and again that a filtered color led will not be as bright, vibrant or full a blade as the actual color led. if cyan is the color you want, you will be better off using an RGB and mixing the green and blue together, using a resistor on the blue to dial in the shade you're looking for. I had to do that recently on a saber I rebuilt for some one, and used a LedEngin RGBW to do it:

This was running on a Crystal Focus 5.1 and use the white for the FoC. My camera makes the color a little more green than it was in person, but it very closely matched the old Luxeon III "bin 1" cyan color most people are looking for.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

so you need 2 LED Engin 10W LEDs one white and one green a JST connector for each LED a switch and a battery and you are set

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

Why would you need 2 LED Engin 10W LEDs? Just get 1 RGBW or RGBA and use the appropriate die for what you want. Each die has it's own +/- pads so you only use the ones you need/want. I don't know how you would get both the green and white from seperate LEDEngin's to focus in the same blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzan View Post
    Why would you need 2 LED Engin 10W LEDs? Just get 1 RGBW or RGBA and use the appropriate die for what you want. Each die has it's own +/- pads so you only use the ones you need/want. I don't know how you would get both the green and white from seperate LEDEngin's to focus in the same blade.
    Yep I did pay attention in physics back in school. That's why I'm struggeling with the decision so bad, since I don't want to put in a white LED just to see, that I don't like it with the color discs. In that case I'd go for a green lux rebel... witthout color discs
    2 LEDs to swap out in the one saber... i understand that only one LED can be in a saber but you can set the saber up to change the color of the blade. as i said both a white LED and a RGB should be used to sort out what works best fo this saber. i said one white LED so color disc can be used to try color mixing and if the whit is not what is best you have a nice bright flashlight. i said green cuz thats what was picked by tedstardust so why not use a 10W green and go for max brightness insted of a green rebel.