Thread: Couple of questions about first saber with sound

Default Couple of questions about first saber with sound

Hi eveyone. I built a stunt saber a while back and i've now decided to have a go at building a saber with sound. Im going to be running a green seoul P4 off a stock MR Anakin rots soundboard. I'm planning on connecting JST connectors to my soundboard so that it will connect up convieniantly to the MWS LED module and battery pack. I just have a couple of questions:

1) I was going to use the MWS speaker holder and battery pack using rechargable batteries. However the blurb for the 4AAA battery holder states that you can't use rechargable batteries if using the the MWS. I assume as i wont be using the MWS buckpuck or PC i can still use rechargable batteries correct?

2) would the 4.8V off the rechargable battaries give me enough juice for the sound board, led and speaker?

2) If i was to go down the route of Li-Ion batteries what battery pack would be best to go for? I'm assuming this would be fine? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74...Pack-P698.aspx

Thank's folk's

2) If i was to go down the route of Li-Ion batteries what battery pack would be best to go for? I'm assuming this would be fine? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74...Pack-P698.aspx
    Yep that would be the one. And as far as the rechargeable batteries running the electronics you shouldn't have a problem with it, but you should make sure that you wire a tip 42 transistor
    to the led for a brighter blade you can find the information here http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...w-DVD-Tutorial fifth diagram down
    if you want to use a recharge port/kill switch (the info pertains to the cheapo Hasbro boards but it still applies to the board you're using) hope this helps

MTFBY

Ka'ge
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Remember, if we get caught....
    (")_(") You're deaf, and I don't speak english

Thank's Ka'ge

Thats very helpful, i didn't know i'd need the transistor so thank's for pointing that out. I'm actually leaning towards going for a Li-Ion setup it's just all the cram fu and the need for a chasis sled that's putting me off (the Battery box and speaker combo that TCSS sells seemed very convienient from that point of view)

I havent 100% ruled out the option of going for a PC it's just a question of cash at the moment.

Again thank's for the help it's very helpful to get as much info as possible whilst i try and make up my mind about this

I used a MR Anakin in my last saber, I didn't need a transistor setup. I'm running 4 AAA NIMH batteries in it, In fact I was having issues when I put in regular AAAs. It was too much voltage for the board. My blade looks nice and bright using a rebel amber. But if you find your blade is too dim you can definitely go for the transistor route to get it more juice.
    If your going for a lithium-ion solution I would recommend http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Te...dule-P672.aspx . If you use a 7.4v pack make sure to use a 5 volt voltage regulator to protect your board. For the 4 AAA holder, I think the blurb was referring putting lithium-ion batteries in it , not against using NIHM rechargeable batteries. The next line mentions using rechargeable for a 4.8v soulution.
    I would recommend doing a chassis for either the MR board or a PC. Just a little PVC sink tube can be cut to a good chassis. Nothing worse than getting everything put together and having the board short out against the side of you saber or having a solder joint break.
    Hope my babble helps

Hi Pezzer,

That's very helpful as i said i'm going to take my time deciding what option to go for but your info makes me feel much more confident about going the NIMH route. Im tempted to go for the PC however considering i have a MR board just lying around it may be more sensible (and cheaper) to go the NIMH and MR board route......decisions decisions