Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Build Log - "Aurea" - Machinimax's First Crystal Focus Lightsaber

Default Build Log - "Aurea" - Machinimax's First Crystal Focus Lightsaber

Hello one and all! This is a thread I started back in December on the FX-Sabers forum. There was a delay in my plans for this project so I didn't post it here on TCSS...until now!!!

So after months of research and saving money, I have begun on my path to creating my first Crystal Focus lightsaber. I will be using this thread as a means of cataloging the progress of my project and will also use it to ask any additional questions or to have certain things checked out. I am very excited for this build and I look forward to starting it soon. So, here's a rundown of my project and where I stand with it so far:

MHS Custom Lightsaber
    Crystal Focus 5.6
    7.4V Li-Ion 18500 or 18650 battery pack
    LEDEngin RGBW mixed for yellow
    Flash on Clash
    Yellow Illuminated Dot Momentary Switch

Here is a Photoshop rendering of my design

and here is the actual thing!

I want this to be my personal lightsaber. I was going for an aesthetically pleasing yet simple look.

I think I'm going to call it

Aurea

which is Latin for Golden. The name is inspired by the yellow blade it's going to have. It's a simple name, it describes the saber a little, and it has a bit of an elegant ring to it.

Here is the pièce de résistance from France, the Crystal Focus (Que Indiana Jones Holy Grail theme here).

As you can see it is resting snugly inside those two acrylic disks, which are part of my chassis system from Sanjuro of FX-Sabers. Below are all the disks I will be using to secure the innards.

This project has been a long time in the making. I ordered the parts for the hilt back in December but as a college student, my educational duties took priority over this. However I should begin construction and assembly within the next 2-3 weeks as my summer break is only days away!!! I just need to order the remaining internal parts from Tim such as the LED, switches, batteries, etc. This thread will be updated with pictures of the build as it moves along. Thank you one and all here and at the FX-Sabers forums who have helped me in my research for this project. I hope to make something great that you're going to love!

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

That's going to be a nice looking saber. Are you leaving the hilt as-is or are you going to do any powder coating? I think some gold accents would look nice. Either way, fantastic start.

Well the flutes under the control box are powder coated. As for any other accents, I'll see. Like I said, I'm going for a very simple look. I'm not a big fan of greebles all over the hilt.
    Last edited by Machinimax; 04-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Machinimax View Post
    Like I said, I'm going for a very simple look. I'm not a big gan of greebles all over the hilt.
    So much respect from me for that. I like the look overall; looks like it'd be a great dueler. The chassis discs are the best part, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-Taka View Post
    The chassis discs are the best part, by far.
    Oh they are beautiful! I'm very excited to see how they work out.

I am as well. I hope you post pictures of the full chassis with the rest of the saber pictures.

Nice to see this build on these forums too! As always, look forward to the progress.

Nice! Always like to see well done examples of what one of my architectural professors called K.I.S.S. theory (Keep It Simple, Stupid). Looking forward to more chassis pics, too...

I love the discs, but this should be moved to a-z threads nont the less its a amazing design and i love the disc.... maybe tim will be stocking something similar soon
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

Oops, I forgot this one. Again no internals in this yet but it already looks awesome with a blade and the choke makes it AWESOME for spinning.