Thread: cheap flash on clash effect

Blog Entries

Default cheap flash on clash effect

Hi all. I am building a new saber for myself on a fairly tight budget. I wanted to have flash on clash but all i have to work with is a 616 board. I was wondering if anyone here has tried wiring a SW-18020 clash sensor as a physical momentary N.O. switch for the clash LED? I know the sensor has a very low current rating - one website states 10mA - but i was wondering if anyone has tried anyway. Perhaps in conjunction with a MOSFET? I tried searching for sw18020 but got zero result.

Thanks
    -v

Yes I played around with that a little. What I found was it wasn't a long enough of a contact closure. So I played with using a 555 timer and some solid state relay's that have 1A rating. Never really got it working right though. I was also having trouble with it shutting off the board. It's been about three or more years now since I did all that though. With the introduction of the PC it just isn't worth me messing with all that again.

use one of these: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/16...itch-P433.aspx
    or similar dpdt switch. wire one of the switch leads to the clash and another to the LED.
    the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZ3B...6&feature=plcp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grayven View Post
    Yes I played around with that a little. What I found was it wasn't a long enough of a contact closure. So I played with using a 555 timer and some solid state relay's that have 1A rating. Never really got it working right though. I was also having trouble with it shutting off the board. It's been about three or more years now since I did all that though. With the introduction of the PC it just isn't worth me messing with all that again.
    I remember that. I was wondering how that was done. I was thinking of having two power supplies in the hilt. One dedicated to the sound board and one dedicated to the LEDs (4 of them). I have a few 555 and mosfets laying around. Then i need a dpdt switch. That should take care of the 616 shutting off.

Unfortunately, what i dont have laying around is $120 for a PC. Maybe for my b-day...
    -------------------------------------------

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas A. Edison