Thread: Need advice on old Hasbro board

Default Need advice on old Hasbro board

I found a toy lightsaber at a junkshop, and picked it up for under a dollar. After browsing the boards shown here, I've found out it is a 2004 'feel the force' Obi-wan saber, just like this person has: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...+force+obi-wan
    So... Flashes on start-up, power-down, and clash, also vibrates on clash, no swing sensor.
    Now this link from YouTube shows a way to get around the flashing, but he's using a 2010 board, I'm not sure if this would work on mine: http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-goog...?v=CtE-ChC07bo
    Basically, I have only a few problems to overcome: first off, the vibration is driving me bonkers, that has to go. And if I attach the LED through the speaker wire with an approprite resistor (I would like to have a white Seoul P4) I would also like to disconnect the original LED. So what would I do with the extra four wires I would have unattached at that point?
    I also have the idea (please tell me if this sounds idiotic, I am very green at this) to attach the resister and LED to the negative wire directly out of the battery pack, and not run the LED through the board at all.
    I will appreciate any help and advice that anyone with experience with these soundboards could give me.

You should take a look at this set up
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...iring-Diagrams
    There's a few in there with the board you are discribing. As for attaching the LED on a seprate "line" probably no real need to do that. More effort to undertake if you are new at this .
    Many of these boards handle up to 6volts so powering your board(and LED together) won't be an issue if you follow some of the diagrams.
    In that same section there are some helpful tutorials.
    cheers

The diagrams are helpful, and I realize now that putting the LED straight off the battery would necessitate a 2nd on-off switch. Too much trouble.
    The reason I want to put the LEDs on something other than the LED lead is to get rid of the annoying flashing. I like the effect that the YouTube vid shows, of the blade flickering slightly with the hum, but he isn't very specific on how he hooked it up. From what it looks like, negative speaker wire goes into a resistor, then to the negative LED hookup. But then where would the LED positive attach? Negative on the speaker? Maybe I should just send a message to the guy who posted the vid.
    As for the power, I have 4.5 volts running it, as that was the same as the original setup, so I figured that it wouldn't be too strong.
    I saw on one of the diagrams that someone had taken two unused wires and just wrapped them together with tape. Is this a good solution for wires that no longer have a function?

I either remove the extra wires completely, or tape the ends of each unused wire individually to prevent them from finding any connections. You can also simply clip them off as close to the board as you are comfortable with. (you can always re solder new wire for any future changes to your set up)
    I am fairly new to saber building, but this is my SOP for most of my electronic work.