Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R.I.C.E. port wiring

Default R.I.C.E. port wiring

Howdy,
    Getting ready to wire up my first RICE port. I have the diagram, know what pads to set my leads off of, however I do need to confirm one thing. The 3 pin set up on a RICE port is the same as on a recharge port. If I'm reading correctly I have'nt found much on the actual wiring up of a RICE port here, other than on the store where you can print off the diagram.
    As I said some confirmation would be cool.
    Thanks in advance.

Is this what you are looking for? Both varieties of R.I.C.E. ports are wired the same.

We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Yep, thank you. Although, I am really doing a "facepalm" I found it only a moment before replying
    I do appreaciate it

So I'm pretty sure I wasted my time with the RICE port
    everything is wired up (correctly as the diagram) when I plug in cord, a message box comes up saying I need to insert a disc or go online and download the driver. So no disc.
    Online.....well its been frustrating.
    Anyone out there with a couple hints

The drivers for the cable should be in the download for the R.I.C.E. application, but if you are having trouble getting them installed, like I did when I recently installed R.I.C.E. on my old PC, I found a working driver here: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/P...CPDrivers.aspx Use the "vcp driver kit" for windows XP/server2003/vista/7 v6.5 Click the link, follow the prompts and restart your computer when asked. Then follow these instructions to use the R.I.C.E. app:

- launch the PetitCroutonR.I.C.E.exe
    - plug your USB serial port into the saber, then into your PC's USB port (assuming you installed the drivers)
    - power up your PC board (pull kill key) and activate the blade
    - click autoscan to find COM ports on your computer. If you have several ports, autoscan might find the one on which the PC is connected.
    - Or manually select the port and click connect. Green light comes on. If you hot plugged the 3 pin serial connector, you might have to click twice to connect, in order to flush the COM pipe.
    - play with parameters, then click "Save on SB" to have the config saved on the SD card.

You can always plug the USB port in before launching the software. The USB serial port can remain plugged in all the time, actually. All you have to do is disconnect / reconnect the 3 pin cable between the USB port and the PC board. You don't need to reconnect each time.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks J. I will give that a go.

well I gave it a go, pretty solid effort on my part. The board still works, the SD card still works, and still has my settings on it. But, I can't seem to acess the board functions.
    @ J, I gave it a try honestly, I did as you said above, the driver installed just fine. Started up the RICE program, plugged in my saber, and ....nada. Its like the computer is not talking to the board in the saber. I checked and rechecked my wiring, and did so with the diagram, both before and after. Still nothing, so I'm going to say at this point the entire idea of acessing a PC 2.0 with out having to open the hilt is a bust.
    As well at this point having the PC 2.0 is somewhat in question now, as I have to open the hilt, take out the card, play with the settings on the computer, then put the card back in, and put the

Okay, I have a dumb question....
    the PC 2.0 and RICE is Mac compatible, right?

still waiting for my parts.....military postal is unreliable.

Nope. The R.I.C.E. program is Windows only. And something about how the Mac formats cards means Macs can't reformat the micro-SD cards for new sounds, though you can still alter text files to change configurations. Erv has said making Mac compatible R.I.C.E. is on his to-do list, but he's a very, very busy man. Patience, though, and he'll deliver.
    Boring conversation anyway...

I CAN adjust setting (flicker and stuff)
    CANNOT load new fonts (shatterpoint)

Is this correct?