Thread: First Saber Redux - Perdition's Flame

Default First Saber Redux - Perdition's Flame

Perdition's Flame

My first saber was tentatively called Dirty Old Republic (DOR), and you can read about it here. I spent a lot of time tinkering with DOR, but I was never completely satisfied with how it looked - a sentiment I'm sure many sabersmiths understand. I spent weeks inking and painting, sanding and accessorizing. Then this past weekend I decided to strip down the vast majority of paint I had laid on the hilt, yank out the activator switch, and start anew. It was a frightening and exciting prospect to undo most of what I spent months on, but I knew I wouldn't be happy until I did. I experimented with a lot of different combinations of paint and ink, and spent a good deal of time at craft stores looking for the right accessories. But finally I came up with a very different saber, one that I loved to look at. I call it Perdition's Flame.

Here are a few highlights of the work involved:
    • The coloring is still a combinations of inks, but I used a different brand than with DOR that was remarkably pigmented and flowed over the hilt as it dried. The effects were almost iridescent.
    • The activator switch is a glass bead that I placed on top of the original Gladius button. The bead has a metal cap on it that I found a local bead shop.
    • The LED is a white Seoul P4 with a combination of Lee filters installed.
    • The sound card is a MR Vader board, wired to a 23mm 1W speaker and 4xAAAs. It sounds remarkably loud for such a small speaker. The speaker grill is a modified ARKM Razor emitter plug.
    • The chain & bead accessories are designed to be removable from the hilt, if so desired, using a couple of clasps at each end.

The Glams

IMGP5458.jpgIMGP5459.jpgIMGP5462.jpg
    IMGP5470.jpgIMGP5483.jpg

That's a really amazing paint job! I doubt you'll be having second thoughts about the rebuild. It looks fantastic now.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

absolutely love what you did here. You turned this saber into something completely different than the base Gladius. Most impressive. If Siddhartha were a Jedi, this is what he'd wield.

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

The inking reminds me of marbling, its amazing.
    Saber-smith Beginner - Still working

a really cool and nice paintjob, I also like the chains and beads

Awesome! the structure's very SWTOR. It defiantly looks like it should belong to someone whose REALLY good! A master's blade!
    "I sense great fear in you Skywalker! You have hate, you have anger; but you don't use them."