Thread: Choke 3 ()

Talking Choke 3 ()

Hi all!
    I have a couple of questions ahead of a build I want to do fairly soon, and I'm utterly stuck for the answers. Being located in Britain, makes shipping costs a real pain should I get this wrong, so:

I'm wanting to position my switches discretely in choke style 3 (long). I gather the material gets pretty thick towards the ends, and this is pretty much the source of my troubles.
    I want to place 2 momentary switches side-by-side towards the female end of the section. As regards the internal space i think this might be the best option, IF its long enough. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/SP...itch-P285.aspx

If it will be long enough, does anyone know what size of hole I'll need to ask for when I place the order? I had wondered if the mounting service for switch 22 might do the job (Based on the pictures). The other option I had considered was using switch 20.

(I'd also be open to any other bright ideas here! )

The Black dot on the picture indicates roughly where I had in mind for the two switches. I definitely would prefer them at that end of the saber, though most of the electronics will be going at the other end.

NB: I fully expect to have to cut the heat sink down with this design.
    Saber.jpg

EDIT: Drat! Dont know what I hit there, The thread was supposed to have a better title than that!
    Last edited by Elodin; 04-17-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    "I sense great fear in you Skywalker! You have hate, you have anger; but you don't use them."

Your heat sink is going to extend down into the choke a little. That may interfere with where you are planning on putting your switches.

Only the aluminum top to the ring (the part that holds the lens holder and lens against the LED) goes inside the blade holder, the "ring" is pinched between the BH and in your case Choke 3 sections to hold it in place and the heatsink will extend below the threads.

It's better to think of your LED assembly to sit in the choke as opposed to the blade holder because that's what is actually happening.

Go to the store and take a look at the 4th picture for the New Style Heatsink. You will see the "ring" sitting on top of the threads to the blade holder and the heatsink extending up. All of that will slide down inside your choke.
    Last edited by Zzan; 04-17-2012 at 12:08 PM.

From the look of things (store pics, MHS builder, My last build,) I'll have to cut the heat sink down, to fit it in that part at all. I'd pretty much reached the conclusion that I'd be doing that anyway. Im much more concerned about getting the switches to work at all.
    "I sense great fear in you Skywalker! You have hate, you have anger; but you don't use them."