Thread: Polycarbonate Sleeve

Default Polycarbonate Sleeve

Hello!
    I thought about an illuminated hilt, so that the hilt glows the same as the blade.
    The problem here is, if I only use a polycarbonat tube as hilt, it could get to fragile. Therefore I want to use the normal MHS parts as inner skeleton.
    But till now I wasn't able to find a polycarbonate tube (similar to the blade material) with the dimensions of the sleeve material, at least the inner diameter is important.
    Does someone of you have an idea where to get something like that? Oh and it would be important that, if it's a shop, they also send it to europe^^ Of course I only need one or two tubes with about 20" or one with about 40", quite small amounts.

Thanks in advance!
    BR Bato

I have toyed with this idea in.my head a lot... just Google what size you want and you will.find it. I have found 1.5 of pimyntube before so I.know its out there. Good luck man.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

I am hoping to do an illuminated hilt too, but thought i would go the other way, a sleeve as a thin exoskeleton over the poly.

Sounds a little like Azmaria's Hoth saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Sounds a little like Azmaria's Hoth saber.
    It does sound like that. Az's Hoth saber is a gorgeous saber...

I thought more of a concept of the tfu2 saber ( http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ConceptArt.jpg )
    this saber inspired me, but I don't want to do a replica.
    but first of all I have to finish my masters degree and then I have to find a fitting polycarbonat tube^^
    I don't even know if it would work the way I planed it...

I think they way 'you' planned will make the saber way to big/fat!...

but again thats personal preference. (maybe you got huge hands?) lol

if it was me.. Id try as suggested above. more like a polyc tube as the inner core.(1.25 OD) with MHS parts and rings..etc.. over the outside.. (not a full cover..just maybe ont he ends..some depth/texture in the middle with some trim rings..etc)

with the parts I found right now, the saber will be 1.9" in diameter (at the thickest parts) and 1,75" on the thinnest.
    That's quite the diameter of my last saber (sky column) which had 1.8" in diameter.

but I am still planing, and as I know myself, everything will change a few times^^

@xl97: yes my hands are quite big

I'd always wanted to try cramming all of the hilt electronics into a hollowed-out polycarbonate rod. I know it would be blade-heavy (which kind of defeats the purpose of it being a lightsaber), but I was thinking of counterweights to mitigate that issue. The draw, for me, is having a solid, one-piece construction which basically will never break. The outside of the polycarbonate rod could be decorated in whichever fashion desired, such as with chrome paint.

Eh...it's an idea, anyway. I'll probably just stick with MHS for now.

oh yeah Xwingband did a saber that was all see through too.