Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on tools

Default Advice on tools

Hello,

I would like some advice on what tool to get to help do some simple modifications on a hilt, like cutting open a crystal chamber window as an example. Right now I have access to

hand drill (very weak don't think it can drill through the aluminum without overheating)
    solder iron
    various files
    vice
    various glues
    heat gun

Now I can't afford huge machines to fabricate on. Is there something medium range $100-$300 that can cut, drill cleanly and grind. Multi-task equipment is my main goal for now. Thanks in advance.

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

Pick up a Dremel rotary tool. Dremel makes a multitude of accessories that are very handy for saber building. I have one and have several different cutting accessories for it. Nice thing about the Dremel rotary tool is you can pick one up at you local hardware store for under $100, the different bits cost extra but are well worth the price. BUT if you are uncomfortable with a particular task take advantage of the services Tim offers to get it done with less head ache.

just some of the accessories:
    diamond cutting wheel
    two sizes of sanding drums and two grits of sanding belts in both sizes
    grinding wheels
    diamond bits for etching
    buffing wheels
    drill bits
    drill style chuck bit
    Last edited by MasterStoddard; 04-11-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member

Drill press would help, it can bore through aluminum and you can attach various rotary accessories to it for buffing or sanding. Variable rpm with laser guide are good features. Buy good tools!

EDIT: You can also get a "drill press" attachment for the dremel, but don't count on it doing heavy drilling.
    Last edited by RESpecht; 04-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into a dremel probably be my first purchase. As far as a drill press I'll get it second depending on my funds after buying dremel attachments. Btw stoddard is the diamond cutting wheel efficient in cutting shapes or just straight lines?

When you get a Dremel I would highly recommend you get one with the flexible shaft attachment...or buy it separately...using a rotary tool with the flexible shaft is so much easier and provides much better precision control for our uses.

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

the diamond wheel is really only good for straight lines and grinding but there are other diamond bits and non-diamond bits that can get you shapes. Onli-Won is right about the flex shaft attachment. there are other brands out there that make bits with the right size bit shaft that will work with the Dremel tool. I looked at Amazon last night and they have the Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station attachment for the Dremel for about $45 along with other items for Dremel tools. I also recommend the EZ-lock series of bits for some speed changes of bits. The page for the work station lists a little blurb about if you buy the work station, a Dremel 4000-6/50 120-Volt Variable-Speed Rotary Kit and a MultiPro Keyless Chuck at the same time it would be about $183 and the kit includes a flex shaft attachment and from what I am seeing from the product picture of the kit it also includes a EZ Lock bit. I'd say the Dremel kit I mentioned is well worth the $133 price tag Amazon has it listed for.

I'm looking at getting the work station myself for when I can afford the $723 in parts from TCSS to build my saber.
    Last edited by MasterStoddard; 04-12-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: additional information
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member

Another option to a Dremel is a Foredom, it is mainly just a big motor with a flex shaft, but good for heavy duty work, or working for long time periods. Will accept all Dremell tools. In fact most rotary tools fit one another, at least I have found that. But if you are really stuck for budget a good drill will do much of the work a rotary tool will, and some accept a flex shaft. Using the flexible drive shaft will up your quality of work considerably, allows for more accurate cuts, steady hand control, less obstruction of your work and better manoeuvrability. Also, the Foredom has a foot pedal for speed control, meaning you can just concentrate on your work at hand, rather than stopping and starting to change motor speed as work dictates. Just another option that I thought might be worth considering.

Stodd I really like that dremel on amazon its litterally what ive been looking for and I think you're right about the price $133 seems well worth it. The foredom seems to be a big brother version of the dremel the price is a tad higher considerring i still need to add in tcss parts at about $350. But it is a great second option at that. My first tool will most likely be that dremel on amazon i'd say, although I am not entirely sure about the work station just yet. Still evaluating that part. Thanks for the help.

I have the stand mentioned earlier (the dremel drill press add-on) and I would advise against it. Mine is just a $45 dremel holder. Definitely get the Dremel 4000 kit, the extension arm has never been taken off mine. I use it daily. If you want a drill press, get the Skill that is $99 on Amazon. Well worth it and you'll use it for far more things than the rickety dremel press.

Thanks for the heads up, but it looks like the skil drill press is out of stock atm. I'll have to check it out if it is $99, what about the POWERTEC DP801 Baby Drill Press, 5-Speed also on amazon for $120 any thoughts on that?
    Last edited by Revert; 04-12-2012 at 12:02 PM.