Thread: Desoldering from LEDengine pad problem

Default Desoldering from LEDengine pad problem

Hi guys, I was tinning the two smaller pads today, then I put too much on one of them. They bridged. So I tried using the desolder braid on them to try again, but the braid just sticks to the solder and doesnt suck it up. Is there something Im doing wrong? Any help on this will be appereciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhand View Post
    Hi guys, I was tinning the two smaller pads today, then I put too much on one of them. They bridged. So I tried using the desolder braid on them to try again, but the braid just sticks to the solder and doesnt suck it up. Is there something Im doing wrong? Any help on this will be appereciated. Thanks
    Use a higher heat setting or make sure you're letting your iron heat up enough. If you're like me, you might be a bit nervous about applying a lot of heat, but that's exactly what you need to do. Also try preheating the area under the pad. Rub the iron under the aluminum star.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Thank you Kevin, I was able to get some solder off. It was a pain in the butt, but was able to make a path in between the two

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhand View Post
    Thank you Kevin, I was able to get some solder off. It was a pain in the butt, but was able to make a path in between the two
    glad you got it; short bursts of high heat are definitely better than longer periods of low heat.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have found if you turn the iron all they way up, and then rub it on the underside for 20 second or so... solder flows much easier onto and off the pads.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...