Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip Material?

Golf clubs and tennis rackets (the ones I have seen) are just 3/4-1 inch vinyl strips wrapped to overlap. The foam/rubber used on tread mill handles can be found at auto part stores labeled as roll bar padding. You can also use hockey grip tape, which they use to wrap thier stick handles, at sporting good store for pretty cheap.

Cain

For my saber I used black auto body molding. It already has the 3m adhesive, so it worked well.

Tim makes the grips that are like the windshield wipers in his store. It's a really good deal cause its easily to apply and i'm sure they're durable.

some of that double-sided foam tape from Lowe's works well...cut it into strips & cover each strip with black electrical tape once they're on the hilt. there's also a really easy way to make them even-length once they're on the hilt. this method is for cheapskate jedi[]

"Chaka, call off Dawson, will ya?!"

I found this plasti-dip stuff that I will try to use for my grip. It is this liquid stuff that dries into a kind of rubber.
    Wouldn't grip tape rub on your hands too much?

Craft foam, applied with double-sided carpet tape. It looks like there may be self-adhesive version of this stuff available now. I'm going to order some online soon, and try it out.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Jonitus

My newest saber, which is being built from Tim's modular saber system, will have a grip that is similar to the thread wrapping found on Japanese Katanas. I have the silk already, and two nice pieces of simulated ray skin. It's gonna be beautiful when it is done.

In the past, I have use T-track type materials like those found on the movie sabers, as well as thick coatings of epoxy-type paints for grips. For a saber I built for a friend, I used a continuous wrapping of red silk and then epoxied it into place.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Interesting to hear someone else mention it. I'm fabbing up four hilts as christmas gifts--still haven't made one for myself, and am using tsukamaki for one of them. I only recently tracked down some very nice leather tsukaito. I'm interested to see how it looks against chrome, so i decided against any ray skin or other material for the same. Please, post photos when you've completed yours.

cheers!

JM

actually, jedi, i get some stuff rom the craft section at wally world. its foam sheets, and it already has the adhesive backside, and it seems to stick pretty good to saber handles. jus, throwing this in.

wiper blades, metal stripps, flashlight handles, Tim's "T" profile gripps, PVC tubing, door insulation, non-skid floor tape. now I'm working on some leather ideas

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

I found some handle grip stuff today while searching local hardware and auto parts stores. It is 3/16"x 1 1/4" foam that had adhesive on the back and felt great in the hand, labeled camper shell weatherstrip/seal. It felt alot like the thin foam handles on shop brooms, if anyone knows what I am talking about.

Cain