Thread: Darth Maul Rebel Star conversion - issues with twisting wires please help!

Default Darth Maul Rebel Star conversion - issues with twisting wires please help!

HI there.

I am in the midst of completing my first HB conversion using Tim's refit kit and am having issues with the heatsink threading into the blade holder.

I am finding that the leads from the led are twisting once the hilt is threaded together to a point that they begin to break. I have tried thicker gauges of wire, as well as using JST quick-connects, as well as direct wire to the sound board. In all cases, as soon as the hilt threads on the wires twist to a point that they break. I may get only one or two successful complete assembly motions through its paces before the wires break and am not sure where to go from here.

Even with the heatsink just barely threaded into the heatsink the problem still persists. I have also tried gluing the connectors to the top of the heatsink but then the wires just break further down the line, and I do not want to risk pulling the off the board.

I am sooo close to finishing this build but this problem is driving me crazy. Of all the builds I have read on here I have yet to have one with this issue. I can see how using a MHS setup alleviates this as the combo floats between the pieces rather than threading into it. That said...this doesn't helo me much.

The only part i was thinking was something like a swivel (like those used in jewellery) that would allow the wires to turn, but not twist.

I'm sure someone has a point in the right direction. I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
    174fps

There shouldn't be any reason for your wires to be twisting in the first place...the copper heatsink should be threaded into the aluminum blade socket, which is then slid into the hilt with the electronics module....I'm not sure why you're screwing anything together on that conversion....I've done a few of them myself, and never had any problems with wires twisting. did you follow the tutorial posted here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...kits-available
    From what I've been told, the Hasbro non-removable blade version is nearly identical to the MR, and follows the exact same construction method.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I'm with Jay-Gon, because the blade holder slides in from the bottom there should be no twisting to the point of breaking. My wires did twist a very small amount so the blade holder alligned with the plastic chassis the board sits in.

If the problem persists get some photos of your work in and we'll have a look.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Hey guys,

Appreciate the comments. I am not using the stock setup and should have mentioned this earlier. I have my own switch and battery setup that is forcing me to basically use the Mauls hiilts as a MHS setup. So for me, I assemble the sabers in the same way, rather than having everything come in from the botom. I didnt realize this was going to be an issue until I went to final assembly, and unfortunately the tutorial for the maul setup is not cvery clear from attaching the blade on.

Nevertheless I appreciate your comments. I have fixed the issue by having the threads removed from the blade tholder and securing the LEDS with set screws. Now it can turn freely while I spin the stock blade holder onto the main body. Still not perfect as I need to come up with a better switch solution. I was hopong that the maul parts would thread onto the MHS components but Tim reports this is not the case.

So...onto my next build...I am done with conversions and am starting from scratch.

Thanks again to everyone, all your posts make this hobby possible.
    174fps