Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightsaber Knife

Default Lightsaber Knife

Hi, I'm interested in making a lightsaber knife, with a blade length of about 6 inches.
    What is the shortest possible hilt size that would be possible in this situation? Could I ask TCSS to cut short an existing main body?
    And would the Modular Wiring System work and fit in this situation?

I'm relatively new to the scene, so this'll be my first project. Any ideas? (:

You could do a short saber with a single li-ion battery a buckpuck or resistor & a switch. as far as shortness? I would think you could build something in the 6-7" range and have it work correctly, sound would be a whole nother matter. Here is a 6" Tanto blade that I made out of polycarbonate that I put into my prophecy hilt
    Last edited by DarthAlice; 04-10-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If you have the skills, you can make one really small. A while ago, I made a tiny saber out of the handle from a discarded Otoscope. Here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUKrkVLMWu0

The shortest I can figure for a saber if you're using MHS parts is around 6", probably closer to 7". That will get you a blade holder, pommel, and 4" or 5" Double Female, with enough room for the batteries, one switch, and heat-sink.

Now, if you want my opinion on aesthetics? It won't work. Even if you use a 3/4" blade, the hilt diameter and overall size compared to the blade length is just gonna look somewhat goofy. It could work with either a longer blade (for my tastes, around 12"; 10" at the minimum) or if you can fabricate your own hilt and LED mounting system using a much narrower and shorter tube. Even then, with a 3/4" blade at 6" long, I'm afraid it's going to look kinda like a toy, or those lightsaber candy dispensers.
    Boring conversation anyway...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Here is a short one I made before. I one of the pics I am comparing it to a MR Yoda hilt. The hilt is just a tad over 4"

Last edited by Rhyen Skytracker; 04-11-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    Here is a short one I made before. I one of the pics I am comparing it to a MR Yoda hilt. The hilt is just a tad over 4"

How did you go about making that?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It is custom machined and has 2 CR2032 batteries. I have been thinking about changing them out to a single CR123. Even with those small batteries, there is still not much room. The blade is part of a string blade from a MR Yoda saber.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If you want a smaller diameter grip, you could use a 1.25" sink tube as a base and use one of these as a blade holder.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/12...der--P269.aspx

Use a 2AA battery holder, and stick a buck puck in there. Come up with something to cap the end for a pommel and you're done. Dress up the outside as you please. I'll bet that if you plan it out carefully, you can come in around 5" or less.

Hi there,
    I was wondering if it might be possible to buy one of these from you? I am not very crafty, and I was hoping to find something like this to surprise my Fiance' with at our wedding to use to cut our Millenium Falcon groom's cake. I can't seem to find any lightsaber knives anywhere and I'm not looking for anything too advanced, just something to get the point across.. I'd appreciate any help or advice you have to share. Thank you so much!!!

Sincerely,
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAlice View Post
    You could do a short saber with a single li-ion battery a buckpuck or resistor & a switch. as far as shortness? I would think you could build something in the 6-7" range and have it work correctly, sound would be a whole nother matter. Here is a 6" Tanto blade that I made out of polycarbonate that I put into my prophecy hilt
    Sorry, the photo with the 6" Tanto blade is the one I was referring to. Thanks!