Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Modular pommel system??

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Default Modular pommel system??

I am considering redoing most of the pommels whith a removable end piece. This could be a speaker grille, blank, etc.. Looking for some input on what you guys think and design ideas. Hmm..maybe a long section that gets locked in place like the led holder that way no need to mess with the wire twisting problem (this would probably be too expensive to machine from one piece though)

Ok, how about if I designed a speaker holder to be locked in place like the led holder and then if you had the speaker grille end cap the sound would flow up the chamber. Not sure if 1.5 inches of travel would sound better or worse.

Ok, theres my ideas..lets hear yours.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I like plan b. I think having about the length of the pommel as a resonating chamber is nice. I have a saber here now with the speaker at the end of the battery pack and it butts up to the end of the pommel when I screw it in.

edit- I just thought of something, what if you did a small m/f section so that the speaker cover could lock in like a heatsink on the male side then have about a half inch with holes all around for sound and then the female threads for the standard pommel? it really would not change any of the current stuff and it could just be another add on piece that would not look to different from that piect that connects the maul fx's together.

<center></center>

Thats not a bad idea either james. I think more people might like the first idea though since they may not want holes showing like that. We will have to wait for them to chirp in with thier ideas.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Actually I'm re doing my pommels right now to fit speakers.

I'm machining room in the pommel to slide in a speaker, MR Luke grill (or custom disk w/ holes), held in place by a circular spring. All inside the pommel. Similar to the MR setup.

I'l post pics when I'm done.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Thats what I had in mind madcow. Could us a c-clip or similar to hold the speaker grille/blank/etc.. in place. But I think the best way to deal with the wire twisting issues would be to put the speaker between the pommel and the body.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

would it be possible to connect the speaker to a grille and make the pommels able to accept the grille with some sort of retaining screw or pin.
    Then you could screw on whatever pommel you wanted to and then attach the speaker\grille assembly?

it might work better if there were a quick connect\disconnect for the speaker wires...then you could also change pommels as easily as you can change LEDs.

OR was that what Tim was getting at??

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

I want a pommel with a huge spike...you know...for stabbing.

"Following the teachings of Revan during the Mandalorian wars, this young Jedi participated in the slaughter of countless Mandalorians. Unlike many of his brethren, he never fell to the Dark Side. With his connection to the Force severed, he walked into the darkness of Exile. Blessed and Cursed with a rare Force disease, he now wanders the Outer Rim serving Justice to the Unjust with his green lightsaber...never aging. Only a fatal wound will end his suffering. A master of Form V: Shien, this broken Jedi forever searches for his path back to the Light.

I love the idea of having multiple pommels that fit with the luke sound board. I hate having to be saddled with the luke pommel only.

Since I have always used the standard pommels and set my speaker up past the threading I have no doubt that doing a setup like that will work out well. It will save me from drilling pepper shaker holes in the pommels[]

<center></center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think you should just adapt the heatink to be a speaker holder. The space is built in to hold it, why mess with a good system?

Then the pommels would need to change. I think making them them hollow and inetchangable endcaps would be wise. That way you could have a grille or speaker cloth type one and standard ends would fit too.

The only problem I see is that all of the endcaps aren't similar enough (size) to make all accept them and make all pommels capable of being "speakered".

Since this modular... the only other possibility I see is a (or set) of speakered pommels. Just quick disconnect them in and out.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>