Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Obsidioro et Oxidium by LDM

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Thumbs up Obsidioro et Oxidium by LDM

Obsidioro Redux

The original Obsidioro was one of my favorite clawed (early) sabers. It was PC'd in trans gold and black. It was the third saber in my "History of Defiance". Ever since, I have looked at it on my wall every day and thought that she could be so much more. I have almost sold her a few times, but nobody ever seemed truly jazzed so I declined. Recently I auctioned Spalare and the person who lost was very disappointed, so I thought that I would offer other options to the winner so that the runner-up could take Spalare. Well, he chose Obsidioro and gave me the liberty to redo her in the image of Oxidium. Needless to say, I was happy to do it. For the original specs, see the original thread...This is what she used to look like:

Well, the first thing that I did was gut her. She did have a gorgeous green P4, LED bargraph and Green Crystal Pommel, but something just seemed incongruous to me. I decided that subtle machining was indeed necessary. Now, no part is untouched by my machines. It may be difficult to tell in the pictures, but see the build gallery if you are interested in what I modified. Just a few examples...the Acerocket Obi pommel is much more streamlined in the cube area and the rear end is flat (more like a korbanth) with 1/8" sound holes. I also made the ribbed section much lower profile for a more comfortable and more unique grip. Next, I filled the original switch and recharge port holes with aluminum patch and sanded. Got rid of the ridiculous MPP rubber shim and made the new one from aluminum. Finally, I milled a channel for the claw, bored the BH ot accept any 1" blade and made a few subtle grooves in the BH. Next step...Oxidized Bronzium weathering. I did some things slightly different than on Dramath and made this one much more like Oxidium in that there are more "gold" accents showing through, especially in the ribbed section. The blade color scheme was important to the client in this case...it had to be Orange! I happened ot have a gorgeous quad Amber that is a gorgeous orange, so away I went....Orange blade, orange FoC, orange Crystal Pommel, orange power indicator blinky under the bubbles...Finally, i decided that no external recharge port would mar this girl, so I left it tucked inside the pommel. Access is pretty easy (just unscrew and pop out the speaker mount) and I just thought that it would obstruct the sound too much. thanks for reading my novel, but this one meant a lot to me and now she is FINALLY finished to my satisfaction.

Particulars:
    Obsidioro "Classic" hilt "re-imagined"
    Petit Crouton v1.6 (Darkmeat 1.6)
    LEDEngin 10W AAAA (AA blade & AA FoC)
    Amber Crystal Pommel & power indicator
    Oxidized Bronzium weathering
    7.4V Li-ion Stick pack
    2W HO TCSS Speaker in custom mount
    APOP is on.

The BMT (short version):

BMT (the long version):

The Glams:

The build album (P/W is obsidioro): http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...zium%204-2-12/
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Looks fantastic may I ask what powder coat gave that metallic look on.the first image with the green p4? It looks great before and after.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Originally it had "trans gold" powder coat.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams

nice build!! the screws used to mount the claw showing is the only dislike, nice color blade also.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Well...this is a perfect example of the subjectivity of art because I happen to love them Screws are a "form follows function" thing for me. BTW, some folks said the same thing when i originally posted this saber 3 years ago, so I figured it may happen again, lol.

dont misunderstand me- it is a beatiful saber, just others tastes are different, but i always enjoy your builds!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by pvcpo View Post
    dont misunderstand me- it is a beatiful saber, just others tastes are different, but i always enjoy your builds!
    Oh no, I got you. I also completely understand and appreciate the comments

thank LDM I have to look into that powder coat.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

Blog Entries

I love how you made a clawed "Jedi" saber! This has been on my mind for a while, and you did it years ago lol!

A very unique design with a wonderful refurbish I liked the way it looked before... I love the way it looks now! I could see a Jedi sentinel carrying this blade... Seriously man, good work!

Lord Matto, I can say with no reservations, that that saber is the first I've seen in a while that I've fallen head-over-heals in love with!! Just... wow! Simple and elegant, yet distinctive too, with that quality about it that makes it look like you swiped it off the set of one of the films.

Truthfully, I preferred the older, cleaner look to it. But that simply means the new version scores *only* a 9.99 vs the older versions 10.