Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your Battery Preference with a PC or CF

Default Your Battery Preference with a PC or CF

If you have created a saber with a PC or CF, what brand of Li-Ion 14500 batteries do you like to use? In my case I'm making a CF saber with FoC and an illuminated yellow dot switch. I'm particularly looking for a battery with an appropriate discharge rate so I do not damage any of the circuitry. Will the unprotected 14500 Li-Ions that Tim sells be ok for my purposes? Thanks everybody.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

I've found the ones tcss sell to be fine also the fact that I live in the uk means that unprotected cells ain't easy to come by. We seem to be stuck mainly with nimh. So I've gone with what's readily available

For FoC with a 10W (which I'm assuming you want to use) I would heavily recommend you use 18650 cells for the extra current discharge.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    For FoC with a 10W (which I'm assuming you want to use) I would heavily recommend you use 18650 cells for the extra current discharge.
    I agree with Skott; Two 18650s would be "optimal", but you might run into space issues. The 18650's are large.
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

Quote Originally Posted by Takanis View Post
    I agree with Skott; Two 18650s would be "optimal", but you might run into space issues. The 18650's are large.
    Yes I heard about the possible space issue with the 18650s. I need to place my sound board, batteries, and switches in the 7in main body of my hilt. I'll assume that would give me cram-fu issues with those types of batteries?

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Well a stick pack of 18650's is about 5.2 inches long, you can place your CF on top of the battery pack, leaving you over an inch of space for switches...

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    Well a stick pack of 18650's is about 5.2 inches long, you can place your CF on top of the battery pack, leaving you over an inch of space for switches...

You know what, since it won't cost me an arm and leg, I may wind up buying a pair of 14500s and 18650s and see which work best with my saber. Thanks alot Skottsaber, you've been a great help.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Keep in mind on a 7" hilt you really only have 5 7/8" of unfettered hilt. There is 5/8" on each end for threads and thread relief. The heatsink (if your emitter is attaching directly to the hilt section) extends approx. 1" down from the end of the hilt. This means that you have only 5 1/4" of space in the hilt section which is the exact length you'll take up with that 18650 stick pack. Can it be done? Sure. depends on what switches (you'll need two mind you) you use and how you mount them, where you are putting your recharge port, and the length of the battery pack also means that you lose a lot of space for the speaker mount and resonance. My suggestion, 14500's have worked fine for just about every project I've ever done, but if you want more head room for discharge rate, go with 14670s. They're the same length as 18650/70s but can fit side by side like 14500s and have more capacity and up to 3A discharge. This will leave you loads of room in the hilt to play with if you mount them side by side.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Keep in mind on a 7" hilt you really only have 5 7/8" of unfettered hilt. There is 5/8" on each end for threads and thread relief. The heatsink (if your emitter is attaching directly to the hilt section) extends approx. 1" down from the end of the hilt. This means that you have only 5 1/4" of space in the hilt section which is the exact length you'll take up with that 18650 stick pack. Can it be done? Sure. depends on what switches (you'll need two mind you) you use and how you mount them, where you are putting your recharge port, and the length of the battery pack also means that you lose a lot of space for the speaker mount and resonance. My suggestion, 14500's have worked fine for just about every project I've ever done, but if you want more head room for discharge rate, go with 14670s. They're the same length as 18650/70s but can fit side by side like 14500s and have more capacity and up to 3A discharge. This will leave you loads of room in the hilt to play with if you mount them side by side.
    Leave it to the saber building master hahaha! Ok then I'll take a look at the 14670s. So even some of your CFs with FoC have used 14500s before? Thanks alot!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

98% of my builds use 14500s. If I can fit more battery into a hilt, than I will, but more often than not the design/customer requires a smaller hilt/cramped install yadda yadda......

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS