Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Saber - Dirty Old Republic

Default First Saber - Dirty Old Republic

[This is a repost from fx-sabers for those that don't hang out there... Just want to share the fun I've been having!]

Greetings saberfolk! I recently started my journey into the world of custom lightsabers, and I've begun taking baby steps with my first project.

I started by purchasing a SF Gladius:

It's a pretty straightforward economic saber, but with no sound and some small cosmetic flaws. I decided to attempt weathering the hilt first. I didn't feel like working with chemicals like aluminium black, so I had some fun using various inks and washes I already had on hand. Some careful sandpapering, and a couple of layers of varnish yielded the following results:

I added in a couple of O-rings to better frame the leather grip, and added a metal disk to the top of the button. I plan to work on weathering the leather next, and then I'm going to start adding in some sound (probably a budget-friendly MR board). It's been a lot of fun so far, and I really look forward to seeing how this project turns out.

I really like the looks of that leather grip. Good job with the weathering as well. It has a nice "worn but loved" look to it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I´m a fan of that hilt... The weathering job you did gives it character, and the yellow blade looks also very nice. Nice one!

almost bought one of these off ebay, but then saw who made 'em....

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    almost bought one of these off ebay, but then saw who made 'em....
    Yeah I felt the same way for a while. But I made a deal to purchase one directly from SF that was cheaper than the eBay auctions, and my budget was tight. It took a while to get (maybe a couple of weeks), but it came packed well enough. I wouldn't say it's a flawless hilt, but I consider it a good starting point. My main gripe is the lack of compatibility with MHS components. The ID of the hilt is 1", and everything is held in place with tension screws. But overall, I do not regret my decision.

You've acheived a superb weathering....I've weathered one of these sabers too but you did it better

The weathering looks great, add a bit to the leather grips and it will look outstanding. Nothing wrong with doing a MR sound board for buget reasons, I have a couple of those on hand for just the same reason. Good sound, reasonable price.
    Yub Yub Commander.

Nice weathering.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Blog Entries

Oh man, I am in love with this saber... I've been eying them myself, I'm going to get one the second I have the funds... I too plan to do some custom work on mine as well... This is really good. Makes it a different saber.

Here are a few more shots. I replaced the default set screws with some blackened button top screws that I cut to fit, and I weathered down the leather grip. You'll also see a better view of the Razor plug I'm going to use as the speaker outlet: