Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bifurcating cyclical-ignition pulse

Default Bifurcating cyclical-ignition pulse

Good afternoon all!

I was interested in creating a saber with the internals representing "Bifurcating cyclical-ignition pulse". This is the setup of two crystals to make the saber waterproof. My question is if anyone has seen a setup like this before, or if there is any bit of information as to the location of the crystals. For example are the crystals set side by side(parallel) so the beam is directed through one and then a lens switches to the other? Or are they in series so you have the beam go through both at the same time?

My guess would be parallel with the two power crystals aimed to the focusing crystal.

Any ideas or opinions would be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance!

I haven't read the cannon material on them to say what the set-up should look like but I think you could let your imagination run wild. Are you looking to make the saber actually water-proof?

I would imagine in parallel would look best as it would make more sense if the pulse was alternating between crystals. This would mean two power cores or something like a figure 8.

I am not planning to make the saber water proof, although that would be an interesting challenge. Right now I am just in the design stages at the moment.

In a "Bifurcating" saber core the crystals are oriented end to end, I believe

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ka'getsu; 03-22-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Remember, if we get caught....
    (")_(") You're deaf, and I don't speak english

Thanks for the info. May have to look more into actually making the saber water resistant. Would be pretty cool to be able to jump in the pool with it or actually duel in the rain without worry.

The cut away is a great one. I have a few others and all seem to show the same setup with the power(primary) crystal followed by the focusing crystal. Some add a third(color crystal, pearls) past the focusing crystal.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by teatuamiru View Post
    Thanks for the info. May have to look more into actually making the saber water resistant. Would be pretty cool to be able to jump in the pool with it or actually duel in the rain without worry.

The cut away is a great one. I have a few others and all seem to show the same setup with the power(primary) crystal followed by the focusing crystal. Some add a third(color crystal, pearls) past the focusing crystal.

Thanks again
    You'll probably want O rings with the same inner diameter as the one Tim sells but a lot thinner (1-3/16 ID, 1-5/16 OD, 1/16 width). Those will fit between MHS sections and should provide water proofing for those sections. Caveat: chassis disk 1 will be prone to looseness as a result.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

For the threading, I'd use teflon tape. It'll make a good seal. The difficult part will be around switches and the lens assembly. You're limited to a stunt saber, since any holes that allow sound to escape would also allow water to get in.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

from wiktionary:

bifurcation

Etymology
    From bifurcate 'to divide into branches', from medieval Latin bifurcatus, the past participle of bifurcare, from Latin bifurcus 'two-pronged', itself from bi- + furca 'fork'

Noun
    bifurcation (plural bifurcations)

(biology) A division into two branches.
    (by extension) Any place where one thing divides into two.
    The act of bifurcating; branching or dividing in two.
    Either of the forks or other branches resultant from such a division.
    (geography) A place where two roads, tributaries etc. part or meet.
    (nautical) The point where a channel divides when proceeding from seaward.
    (mathematics) The change in the qualitative or topological structure of a given family as decribed by bifurcation theory.
    (computer science) A command than execute one bloc or other of commands depending the result of a condition.

Synonyms(division into two branches): branched, branching, forked, forking

This suggests to me that it should not be tandem crystals but rather be two crystals side by side like the tines of a fork possibly in a "Y" shaped mount or alternatively two side by side crystals angled toward a focal point, perhaps another crystal...i havent seen such a crystal chamber and think it could be an interesting look, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    For the threading, I'd use teflon tape. It'll make a good seal. The difficult part will be around switches and the lens assembly. You're limited to a stunt saber, since any holes that allow sound to escape would also allow water to get in.
    No, there is a solution to the sound issue. Membrane or very fine mesh. (ultra fine)

The latter is how Lifeproof handles the speaker on their Lifeproof iPhone cases. Pretty sure the exact material matters too, but AFAIK it's nothing proprietary.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.