Thread: rggb wire up, im confused.

Default rggb wire up, im confused.

Ok so I read fenderbenders thread and thought I understood it, but I don't. I have a ledengin 10w rggb, I want to wire the 2 green dies togeather for my main blade, and red and blue fir FOC. Well what I'm confused about is that I assume I will run my green dies parallel, and the red and blue in series... but I'm confuesed as how to wire the red and blue that way. Um really sorry to ask this as its explained but I just do t understand it. So I need help wiring up the greens in parallel, and the red and blue in series OR if there is a better way please let me know thanks. All I need is help one time then I got it thanks.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

I upgraded my V2 recently to CF5 and Led Engine RGGB so I believe I can help you.

Firstly, I am assuming that you know which pads powers which LED. Once you know which is which it's quite simple. To wired GG in parallel, you need to connect positive Green die 1 to positive Green die 2 and negative Green die 1 to negative Green die 2. From there you only need to wire the positive and negative of all dies to your board output positive and negative.

For FoC dies in series, pex+ to Red+, Red- to Blue+, Blue- to pex-.

For my set up I only use the Red die though for a yellow-ish FoC.

ok so was your pex resistor a huge resistor? one of the big white ones?

My resistor is the small one since I am only running one die. But since the FoC is only on for a short duration it is possible to get away with one that is 1/4 of the needed wattage. For example, according to calculation, I actually need a 6.6w resistor for my FoC die but I can get away with using only a 2w resistor. For reference, I am running my red die at 1500mA. I tried 1000mA and 1200mA but the FoC is not obvious enough. It still looks not very obvious at 1500mA but I did dial down the A of my main LED and it looks great now.

I was initially running my main LED at 2A but it heats up super fast and the gain in brightness is not that much over running it at 1.5A.

so if I wire the red and blue in series im calculating a 1.2 ohm 3 watt resistor for FOC correct?

That depends on how many mA you are running the FoC die at. According to the resistor calculator here http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz, if you run R and B in series at 1500mA, you should be using 2W 1 oh, resistor.

thanks with your help and LUMINARA UNDULI from FX i figured it out. thanks