Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First saber build complete!

Default First saber build complete!

Hi everyone,

Officially done with my first saber build. I've named it Ki-No Makoto (super bonus geek-otaku points to anyone who catches THAT reference without Google's help). It's nothing incredibly fancy; all pretty standard MHS parts with some powder-coating done. But again, it was my first build, and I wanted to keep it kinda simple while still having a saber that looks nice, and not like a flashlight with a plastic rod stuck to it. I felt like I accomplished that, AND got a very comfortable to hold hilt in the process (seriously, this is one of those hilt designs you can't pick up and just hold; it feels like it should always be in motion).

Here's some of the internal specs...
    - Petit Crouton 1.6, Light Meat sound-font (for the moment), with R.I.C.E. port
    - 3-watt Rebel Star green LED (though I might be changing to a Seoul P4 in the near future).
    - 2-watt high-bass speaker
    - 7.4v 14500 Lithium-ion battery pack

Here's the pics and a video...

To everyone who takes the time to share their knowledge and expertise, and especially to Tim for manufacturing and selling the parts that makes builds like these possible, I'd like to extend a very big, "THANK YOU!" It's been a long time since something has made me feel this much like a kid again, and I can't wait to get started on saber number two.

Congratulations! It feels good when you light your new saber up for the first time, doesn't it?
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Congratulations! It feels good when you light your new saber up for the first time, doesn't it?
    Yes it does! Especially since I didn't really do much testing while everything was laid out on the table, and putting everything in wasn't so much Cram-fu as Cram-drunken-Scottish-bar-brawl.

Ah, but pulling the key out, and watching it blaze to life with a perfect hum... man, one of the best things ever!

Nice - very nice visual balance. Good to see a build with the new switch box... how does that feel in your hand?

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    Nice - very nice visual balance. Good to see a build with the new switch box... how does that feel in your hand?
    Thank you. I'm really liking that switch box (style 13, if I remember right?) It puts everything together in one place on one side of the hilt, but if you should have to grip it there, it's not excessively large or pointy, so it won't hurt your hand. I also like having one of the AV switches as an auxiliary, since it makes it easier to find to trigger sounds without looking.
    Last edited by TuxedoCartman; 03-22-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Great build. I was starting to miss these simple sabers after awhile. Any thoughts on the sound you might go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    Great build. I was starting to miss these simple sabers after awhile. Any thoughts on the sound you might go for?
    Right now, I've narrowed it down between the Hero and the Novastar sound-fonts. Was considering Shatterpoint as well, but it sounds like the idle hum is a bit too quiet for my tastes. If anyone feels differently, please let me know.

I have a soft spot for these choked sabers... I, personally, love it... I think you've done a great job! The only issue I have is the placement of the kill key, but hey, it's not in there all the time. Otherwise, well done!

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Thank you. Yeah, I agree about the kill key, but it's better than the covertec knob, and the store's been out of the small keychain one for a while. Maybe later on, I can try fabricating my own, but so far I've had a hard time finding supplies where I live.

Congratulations for this simple and elegant saber, it reminds me an agressive version of obiwan (maybe the colours and the grenade section)... Also good to see these new boxes. Thumbs up