Thread: does anyone feel like helping an idiot!!!

Blog Entries

Default does anyone feel like helping an idiot!!!

i'm very new to the saber world. i recently lost my job. in one more week i will be having major back surgery. soon after i will be confined to my home. i won't even be able to go fishing this spring. knowing all of this and i've alway's been a huge star wars fan, i thought i would pass the time by building my very own custom lightsaber. i've done some previos research about the spec's and construction(just the basic's) and i think i opened a can of worms. i did'nt realize it is so complicated. i could build a saber with no sound, and it would make it easier for me, but i'm determind to construct, for my first saber, an absolute, one of a kind beauty. using all the best, high end components. i will spare no expense, but i need alot of help. i'm sure some of the best saber smith's out there today needed some help in the beginning. but i am not asking for someone to build it for me. the most complicated parts for me are going to be configuring all the illuminated components. i'm looking to build a saber with a crystal chamber with a quartz crystal, the best sound board. i want to use the CRYSTAL FOCUS SABERCORE V4.3 with the flash on clash feature. for the main LED i was going to do the LEDengin 10w. i checked on a few soundboards and i like this one the most. with the anti-vandal switch and a bunch of accent LED's installed and the idea i have for the main design for the hilt, this will definetly something i could be proud of. i am limited on the hilt design because i dont have the tools to fabricate it, but i think i can still do something great with MHS PARTS.

SO I'D JUST LIKE TO SAY TO EVERY ONE OUT THERE IT'S AN HONOR TO BE A PART OF TCSS FORUM AND I HOPE SOMEONE TALENTED COME FORWARD AND WANTS TO HELP ME AND MOST OF ALL BE A PART OF THIS HISTORICAL EVENT. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH ALL OF YOU!!!

Well, the first thing I would suggest is doing a lot of reading. There's a ton of info here on TCSS and that will help you familiarize yourself with the saber building process. Next, you'll want to join FX-Sabers (http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum) so you can get info on the Crystal Focus. If I can make one suggestion though it would be to not start your foray into saber building with a CF. Many have tried, few have succeeded. You're better off picking up a Petit Crouton from TCSS (which is also a Plecter Labs product like the CF) or an MR board from someone on FX. I don't know how much experience you have with soldering since that wasn't mentioned but if you have limited or none, please don't start with a CF (this is only my personal opinion though).

You'll find a lot of helpful people here. If you come up with a design, the internals and a wiring diagram, we'll all help work through the planning. You'll need a few tools to be successful so add them to your list as well.

Post a plan and I'm sure you'll get lots of assistance. Good luck!

Oh yes and the newest CF is 5.1

For the LEDengin you need a good soldering iron, they're quite difficult to solder on.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!

I'd hate to be a negative nancy, but if you've lost your job, and are going to have major back surgery, why would you drop a buttload of cash on a saber?

If you really want a saber, I'd suggest you ditch the CF and crystal chamber, especially if this is your first one. You can still make a great saber with the saberkits in the store, and some time for paint and polish.

Welcome,
    Sounds like great plans afoot, and I believe this might be great therapy to keep your mind focused, yet entertained, whilst going through what sounds like a difficult time. Reading reading reading should answer 90% of your questions for all but the most complex build, but knowing where to look, as well as what question to ask is always another matter. Whilst I believe Darth Odiouss' advice to be both sage and with your best interest at heart, I might add that it is possible to wire up a Crystal Focus or PC U for first timers, given care and patience. Crystal chambers I cannot speak for, have not tried, so it is out of my jurisdiction. But again, I have seen first time sabers with them. Kudos on your enthusiasm, TCSS allows for so many combinations, complex and simple, I know without machining skills you can still end up with an amazing looking saber that you will be proud of. I find watching the movies and Clone Wars keeps my enthusiasm up when the build gets a little exhausting or does not go well at times. And the knowledge and generosity on these forums from people has sometimes restored my faith in human nature, so, Best of luck. Keep your eye on the ball, and my thoughts are with you in the coming months for what will be, in the least, new and unfamiliar times.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Odious View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I'd hate to be a negative nancy, but if you've lost your job, and are going to have major back surgery, why would you drop a buttload of cash on a saber?

If you really want a saber, I'd suggest you ditch the CF and crystal chamber, especially if this is your first one. You can still make a great saber with the saberkits in the store, and some time for paint and polish.
    Roughwater is in a better position to judge his finances than you or I. Also, perhaps this is therapeutic for him. Let him be, nancy.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Let's not start with the name calling. This isn't the place for that. Neither is flaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Starwaster View Post
    Roughwater is in a better position to judge his finances than you or I. Also, perhaps this is therapeutic for him. Let him be, nancy.
    Well it's a good thing he didn't get flamed then now isn't it? And name calling? Not seeing that either. Nancy is how he referred to himself
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Blog Entries

i thank every one that can help me out, but there's no need to bicker. i have been a star wars fan ever since i've seen the original THE NEW HOPE back in the 70's. i never thought about owning or for that matter building a light saber of my own, but doing alot of research, i got very interested and being that i lost my job(and bty, somone asked what i do in regard to if i know how to solder, I"M A PLUMBER for 25 years, so i think i have soldering covered), i thought it would past the time being i cannot do any strenuos things with having back surgery. i want a saber with a bright led(blue) with all the cool accent led's and all the cool sound font. i thought i could do this my self, but after reading alot about how to get started with the basics, it got my head spinning 360 degrees. then i thought, maybe this is'nt for me, because to be very honest with yous i'm not electronically cliend. also i dont intend to be out of work for that long. so what i propose to any one out there that know's what they are doing and are willing to make the money, if you want to build the saber for me. what i would suggest is i will purchase every thing from TCSS, have it all drop shipped to you and go from there. all the websites that do make custome saber's for people have'nt got back to me, so i've already went that route. i did buy a saber from ULTRASABERS and will be getting it this monday, but i dont know if i can customize this to my liking. it's the ARCHON v2 with the obsideon sound board. i paid a little over $300.00 for it. it's not really want i wanted, but if i can have it customize it, i think it may have some potential. so, any one out there, i would love to here your input, i just don't know what to do...............
    Last edited by roughwater71; 03-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.