Thread: Can I make it fit better?

Default Can I make it fit better?

When I ordered my saber parts, instead of going with the flat kill plug for my recharge port, I went with the covertek button kill plug. I also got an activation box for my saber that holds my power switch and my recharge port. I like the way the switch works(and I didn't need to have another hole drilled for the covertek) BUT now that I've got the box in place, the switch won't go in all the way. I wouldn't really think it was a big problem, but now my saber is loose on the button when I've got the kill plug in, and if I take a step or two with it on it'll fall off. I don't have access to a lot(well, any, really) of power tools, but I'm still wondering if there's any way to make the plug fit better so I can actually wear my hilt sometimes.

Best picture I could really get. The screw holding the box on blocks it a bit, and the round back of the plug blocks it the rest of the way.

I don't think the covertec kill key is actually even meant as means to attach the saber to your belt. Your power jack would have to be so tight it would probably bend and break very quickly.

I think that the only thing you can really do here is detach the kill key from the covertec, use it on its own and then drill a hole in the covertec and secure that with a screw on your saber.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    I don't think the covertec kill key is actually even meant as means to attach the saber to your belt. Your power jack would have to be so tight it would probably bend and break very quickly.

I think that the only thing you can really do here is detach the kill key from the covertec, use it on its own and then drill a hole in the covertec and secure that with a screw on your saber.
    I agree. If I'm not mistaken, the covertec kill key is meant to give the allusion of a covertec knob, not actually serve as one.

Yeah, the kill key isn't meant to be worn. I'd pick up a regular kill key and then mount a real covertec to the saber body if you're going to wear it.

The other thing that killkey would be good for aside from looking like a covertec is clipping to your belt when using your saber so you won't loose the key. When not in use your hilt would appear to have two knobs but one would be removable.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Yeah man, that key is just decorative. It will NOT hold the saber on your belt. The best solution for you would be to replacethe kill key with a more low profile style and if you can't drill and tap a hole for a real CT wheel, then go with the IK pommel insert (the one with the D-ring already attached )
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Gotcha. I don't have anyone who can drill/tap it for me, so I guess I'll need to get a different pommel insert and kill key.

Have any tips for getting the pommel clip out of the pommel? It took me a half hour of fighting with some needle nose pliers to get it in the first time

EDIT: OR, since I got the pommel insert without any holes in it, could I get a piece like this one http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/34-D-Ring--P76.aspx drill a hole into the pommel insert(I'm sure my landlord has something that would help.) and put some sort of a bolt/nut combo on it to hold it in place?

Also, even without using the covertec knob as a holder, would I still be able to make the back flat with an indent for the screw so I could still use it as a kill plug?
    Last edited by Gilraen Took; 03-22-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Use the corect tool.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-3578-Un...2435466&sr=1-1

Only 6 and change plus shipping. Saves a lot of aggravation in the end. That 30 minute job installing the ring could have been done in 15 seconds.

You can make the back of the kill plug flat. It'll take quite a while with a set of files, or a lot less time with a dremel. A belt sander would do the trick as well, so long as you're careful to not hit the plug piece.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

You learn something new every day. I never even knew that tool existed. I'll definitely be getting myself a pair. Thank you.