Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Design gurus - help a brother out - updated 09/26/06

Council Member
    Sith Lord

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It is fine J-Lo, I embrace my faults. I know that my typing is lacking just like everyone else on the boards knows, but everyone else knows what i mean and the point gets across. Since you obviously do it only to be anoying and to uphold your reputation you so higly reguard on "all the other boards I am better known on", I will group you with all the other people that are in the "grade school anoyance" category and chalk it up to you havein nothing better to do than wait until someone makes a grammamatical error to actually post something that you feel is detremental and helpfull to people on the boards, since you feel that everyone is furthered by you basically posting when you either point out others faults or when you have something to complain about. I am sure that you will have some form of comback to try and irritate me and start up some form of argument, but it will be more of a waste of time for only you. Oh and feel free to correct my spelling and grammar mistakes in this post, for until i am graded on my posts on a forum, and my point gets across to the people i am actually writing to, I dont give a damn.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i'm gonna get some popcorn and a Dr. Pepper, this thing will get messy [][B)][]

<center>

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.
    </center>

Speaking of "grade school anoyances"

<center></center>

<center>Look at my photo album.</center>

I really appreciate the help Ambo, Jedi Ranger, Madcow and James have provided.

J-Lo, you are more than welcome and encouraged to be a grammar nazi someplace else. None of us here find it funny or cute or charming. It's an annoyance akin to heat rash on my backside. Don't you have people on TFN to be nasty and unhelpful to?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Ambo

Speaking of "grade school anoyances"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LOL

Ambo is realy starting to impress me.[]

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

I will not even comment on the present discussion even though it is killing me not to. I am sorry Jonitus, but your thread is treading on very thin ice. It may fall through. We shall see.

In concerns to your original post; I think you should incorporate a cool switch in your design. It is the one thing that I think sets a saber apart. When there is a cool switch design I really pay attention. Hopefully I will have my saber built soon. It may not be the coolest, but you may like it. What I have always wanted to do (which won't be on this saber I am working on) is to do some cut out grooves in the hilt like at the heatsink. A person could make a really neat looking copper or aluminium heatsink and show it off through the grooves. Not only would it look good, but it would help cool things down. That might open up possibilities for future led advancements. Just some thoughts I had. Please share your progress with us.

Now back to the real action.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by JediMcD

A person could make a really neat looking copper or aluminum heat sink and show it off through the grooves. Not only would it look good, but it would help cool things down. That might open up possibilities for future led advancements. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You bring up a very good point, that may not be appropriate for this Topic...

The aluminum used now for the H/S is not really the best heat conductor.
    And when you talk about advancements in LED's it brings up the issue with the 5w LEDs and their heat issues.

It may be a good idea to look into alternative metals for the LED mount / H/S that conduct heat better than aluminum. Copper, for example, would be a very good heat conductor.

There are others, but I haven't used that part of my brain, (or most of it) for a long time so I can't think of any. But it may be something worth looking into for the future of the store.

FAQ

Council Member
    Sith Lord

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The aluminum used now for the H/S is not really the best heat conductor.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yes, but it is cheaper and (correct me if i am wrong) is easier to machine than other metals like copper

<center>

</center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Lord Maul

yes, but it is cheaper and (correct me if i am wrong) is easier to machine than other metals like copper<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No one said to get rid of the Aluminum.

And if someone was willing to go the 5w route, than they would likely front the $$ for the "Upgraded" H/S.

It's like adding Horsepwer to your engine... You can add all you want, but if you don't beef up the rest of the drivetrain too it will brake stuff.

FAQ

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i know no one said to get rid of aluminum, i was just saying what the cons were of getting rid of it if you wanted too

<center>

</center>

I was definately not trying to derail the topic. I just was saying it would be a neat design option. I think about these ideas, and sometimes I have to bounce them off others to see if they could work.