Thread: How to remove anodized coating from aluminum parts.

Default How to remove anodized coating from aluminum parts.

Hi there was a part in the store i really really needed in the store, trim ring 2, but the only one Tim had was the crimson one. I emailed Tim and he advise it could be weeks before the bare metal one would be in stock, so I ordered the crimson one, thinking hey ill just remove the anodize. Well when I got it it was tough as all get up to remove. So I did a search, I found a this set up very easy and effective. Ill give you the step by step set up to remove the anodized coating on any aluminum part safely and very effectively.

Supply list:
    Your anodized part.
    phosphoric acid
    water
    a heat safe pan, or pot.
    and a heat sorce, torch, stove, or grill
    thermometer measuring 200 degrees or more
    tongs to pick up piece
    safety glasses, gloves, apron

step one:

put safty equipment one glasses, gloves, and apron

step two:

Take your heat safe pan, or pot, and put water in it so that your part is fully submerged.

Step three:

pour your phosphoric acid into the water, you measure your acid by a 4 to 1 ratio. (example) 4 gallons of water and 1 gallon of acid, or 4 cups of water and 1 cup of acid.

step four:

put your water/acid mix that is in your pan or pot on your heat source put your thermometer in the water/acid mix and turn on the heat until your thermometer reads 200 degrees

step 5:

once its at 200 degrees, take your tongs, and pick up your anodized piece and dip it in, wait about a minute depending on the size. the anodized finsh will be removed with ease and a great finish.

Granted my piece was a trim piece and i literally too 3 seconds to remove all the anodize. Thank you for reading and of this proves to be a great tutorial you can sticky it. thank you guys and girls, hope this helps you in the future.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

That sounds like a very simple solution. I definitely wouldn't use the wife's good cookware for this.

A shame it's not quite this simple to anodize the parts.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I. Agree I might remove the anodize from my tpm pommel as tutorial video...or buy a cheap part lol its save and does not ruin the fnish but I like the black anodized look of it :P
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"