Thread: AV Switch, Opening it...

Default AV Switch, Opening it...

Ok, long story short, i have a AV switch (Long) that i need to get 'into'. I need to change the LED and the resistor inside it.

I know some of you have done this before, to fix damaged AV switch and some to change the LED to another color.

How did you do it? Where do i cut? How do i reassemble it?

My take on it is to cut the bottom part (where it's grey plastic) with a dremel, change the led/resistor and then epoxy/superglue the cut part back.

Thanks for any help.

Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Most all AV switches are "pressed" in. When I take mine apart, I have a rig to push the guts out from the button.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Almost all AV I've seen have the led tabs twisted 180°.
    Try straightening these tabs and the whole assembly should slide out easily.
    Reassembling it can be a bit tricky, especially if yours is a latching switch because of the very small levering, but it's possible.
    When done twist the tabs again to lock everything together.

I've wondered this myself, for all the times I've nearly destroyed one of those expensive things. there should be a tuto on this.

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Most all AV switches are "pressed" in. When I take mine apart, I have a rig to push the guts out from the button.
    Good to know. Upon further inspection today i thought of pulling on the bottom part. Instead i'll try pushing through the button.

Thanks everyone, i'll see how it comes out. If it all works out i'll make a quick tut.

Edit: I was able to take the bottom part out after untwisting the LED tabs. Saddly the LED assembly is all the way into the switch. After pulling on the button sliding assembly, it comes apart and i can see the LED exposed.

Edit2: The resistor is found inside the white LED 'holder' that the LED rests on. After taking the resistor out, replacing the LED (it was damaged during disassemble i reassembled everything, resistor the LED from the outside and voila worked great. The LED was white and illuminated a semi-transparent blue plastic to make it look blue. This makes it complicated to change the colors if wanted. Best solution is to find a white/neutral switch and change the LED of that.

I will add a picture of all parts to give a good idea of what to do. It's not complicated and the latching mechanism doesn't even need to be touched!
    Last edited by Ronan; 03-11-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"