Thread: Another PVC Saber

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another PVC Saber

I can’t let Ripper have all the fun with PVC sabers…

This is actually my second PVC saber project and the third saber that I’ve built in 6 months. This one, like my first PVC build, is a gift.

I had some PVC pipe lying around, as well as some other materials that I had on hand, so my expense was only the cost of a Seoul P4 kit and heat sink from TCSS. The “leather” wrap is left over vinyl from repairing a pair of boots. Blade was a SF thick walled blade that I had kicking around and would not use for any of my sabers. This is just a 20” blade, perfect for an 8 year old. The saber is balanced right on the band near the emitter, and the wrap makes it very comfortable to wield.

I love the look of Anakin’s Episode 2 hilt and decided to loosely base this build around that design.

Of course, the best part…. I have enough material on hand for another hilt. Or two…

Jon

IMG_7701.jpgIMG_7702.jpgIMG_7703.jpgIMG_7704.jpgIMG_7714.jpg

Nice job JDuff! I always enjoy seeing what others come up with when working with PVC. This is a beautiful saber. Clean lines and great overall contrast.

Sounds like you're gonna make one lucky 8 year old very, very happy. Kids today got it so good. When I was kid we made pretend sabers out of leftover wood dowels and electrical tape. Awww...the good ol' days.
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

love the design.. clean!

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Looks great - clean lines and well designed.
    I love what people have come up with PVC sabers, I'm constantly amazed what people come up with.
    Yub Yub Commander.

Really nice!! I LOVE the design!! And like all have said, so clean. The wrap is sick! How did you put the wrap on?

Youngling

very nice clean design!

Another thing. You did a great job with sabding! My sanding suck!! My dremal does too much and my hand don't do what's needed. I could sit for two days and sand by hand for a cleaner look. lol Really nice work bro!!

Hey - thanks guys!

The wrap is actually two layers. I had to do this to build up to the band and pommel. I had vinyl adhesive, but if you plan on doing this, don't waste your time or money. I recommend plumbers goop. I've been using that stuff for a while now with anything plastic and it is very solid. I had to let it sit with tape holding pressure for a couple days, and then an additional day with the tape removed.

As far as sanding, I pre-sanded and cleaned off the part. Then used a sandable primer and only touched up the rougher areas. Everything was done by hand and I think I was using a 240 grit paper. Most of what you see is in the painting process. I used an aluminum colored paint, as well as the metallic caramel color, but clear coated the whole thing when I was done. It dulls the aluminum very slightly, but pops the color on the caramel to really make it stand out.

Jon