Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another PVC Saber

Default Another PVC Saber

I can’t let Ripper have all the fun with PVC sabers…

This is actually my second PVC saber project and the third saber that I’ve built in 6 months. This one, like my first PVC build, is a gift.

I had some PVC pipe lying around, as well as some other materials that I had on hand, so my expense was only the cost of a Seoul P4 kit and heat sink from TCSS. The “leather” wrap is left over vinyl from repairing a pair of boots. Blade was a SF thick walled blade that I had kicking around and would not use for any of my sabers. This is just a 20” blade, perfect for an 8 year old. The saber is balanced right on the band near the emitter, and the wrap makes it very comfortable to wield.

I love the look of Anakin’s Episode 2 hilt and decided to loosely base this build around that design.

Of course, the best part…. I have enough material on hand for another hilt. Or two…

Jon

IMG_7701.jpgIMG_7702.jpgIMG_7703.jpgIMG_7704.jpgIMG_7714.jpg

Nice job JDuff! I always enjoy seeing what others come up with when working with PVC. This is a beautiful saber. Clean lines and great overall contrast.

Sounds like you're gonna make one lucky 8 year old very, very happy. Kids today got it so good. When I was kid we made pretend sabers out of leftover wood dowels and electrical tape. Awww...the good ol' days.
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

love the design.. clean!

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Looks great - clean lines and well designed.
    I love what people have come up with PVC sabers, I'm constantly amazed what people come up with.
    Yub Yub Commander.

Really nice!! I LOVE the design!! And like all have said, so clean. The wrap is sick! How did you put the wrap on?

Youngling

very nice clean design!

Another thing. You did a great job with sabding! My sanding suck!! My dremal does too much and my hand don't do what's needed. I could sit for two days and sand by hand for a cleaner look. lol Really nice work bro!!

Hey - thanks guys!

The wrap is actually two layers. I had to do this to build up to the band and pommel. I had vinyl adhesive, but if you plan on doing this, don't waste your time or money. I recommend plumbers goop. I've been using that stuff for a while now with anything plastic and it is very solid. I had to let it sit with tape holding pressure for a couple days, and then an additional day with the tape removed.

As far as sanding, I pre-sanded and cleaned off the part. Then used a sandable primer and only touched up the rougher areas. Everything was done by hand and I think I was using a 240 grit paper. Most of what you see is in the painting process. I used an aluminum colored paint, as well as the metallic caramel color, but clear coated the whole thing when I was done. It dulls the aluminum very slightly, but pops the color on the caramel to really make it stand out.

Jon

I just completed another PVC build. A coworker saw the saber that I made for my nephew and wanted one for a friend. I had played around a little with the design work and came up with this. The PVC wrap didn't seam to my liking so I decided to wrap the handle area instead and actually like that style much more than the faux leather.

This one has a Seoul P4 blue, using a basic LED kit from TCSS. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get very detailed pictures so these were taken with my phone, which is probably why they look so bright.

Jon
    IMAG0179.jpgIMAG0180.jpg

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Both of those are pretty sweet and well crafted. What Schedule pipe are you using? I've only been able to find Sched 40 thick wall at both Lowes & Homw Depot....

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion