Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Working out a heatsink for my new hilt

Default Working out a heatsink for my new hilt

Hi everyone, I just got this hilt:

It's a Larbel made EL ready saber. I would like to convert it to LED and keep the 3/4" blade. I've had success with the 3/4" LED blade before. What I want to know is what people have used for a heatsink inside a LARBEL hilt before. I don't have the dimensions yet (but i'm really excited can you tell?) and as soon as it gets here I'll let you know.

Any thoughts? I'd prefer to not have to do any exterior modding to the hilt, instead to perhaps make a heatsink/extended bladeholder that can be secured into the front piece of the saber.
    (if it disassembles like this that is, I found this pic online).

I'm looking for some suggestions.

'Your swords please, we wouldn't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.' -Count Dooku

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Something radially finned or like Tim's should do well since it is metal to metal contact. If you want to do the radially finned one you should still make the top fin just a bit larger like Tim's so it can rest on something.

I think a good bet would be having Tim grind a heatsink down for you.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

how do you suggest I secure it? I was thinking of getting a custom made one, but I really want to find a way to keep the outside as free from modification as possible, with only an allen head screw for the blade.

'Your swords please, we wouldn't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.' -Count Dooku

You could try to get a small CPU heatsink and fasten it to whatever you're using to mount the LED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Misato Katsuragi: The one who deserves to survive is the one who has the will to do so.
    -Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein
    -Rammstein
    Contains 100% your daily recommended dose of Laughing Man

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'd really have to see the inside to say the best way of securing it. I have to assume here is a bottle neck somewhere in there to put the mono-plug. That could be the spot you let it float above.

Otherwise perhaps you need a sleeve made. It would have a small lip on the bottom to stop the heatsink.

When you get it I'd love to know what the inside of the Larbel look like.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Thats my fault, I guess I always think of the heatsink as the LED mount as well. Thats what I'm looking for a way to heatsink/and hold the LED optics inside this hilt, preferably without having to modify the outside of the saber. Thats why I was thinking of doing an extended blade holder/LED and heatsink mount. I thought that it would be something that would attach to the round emitter in the inside and give an additional 1 inch for the blade then hold the heatsink and LED in place.

Will do, when I get it (probably Saturday) I'll have tons of pics of it to put up.

<font color="green">DROOOOLLLL!!!</font id="green">

<font color="blue">Very nice indeed. That is just so cool, can't wait to see it "in hand".</font id="blue">

<center></center>

Well my saber is here! [] I probably should have waited because I ordered a ton of things that just won't fit into it. I'll definatly use them for something. I ordered corbin's board (too wide) I took my Anakin FX apart, lol I bit harshly I'd definately need a conversion kit to make it whole again but it probably wouldn't be worth it. I also ordered Tim's battery pack... yeah that won't fit either. Well at least my luxeon III will fit, after my neighbor and I drill out this saber on his drill press tonight. It was really made for EL and the compartments are set up that way. I think I might be able to get my FX board in but I don't want to have to drill holes in the back... Oh well I love this saber, as soon as I have some work done on it I'll post more pics!

For a heatsink, you can use a copper pipe end cap.

This will fit easily into a 1" inside diameter hilt.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life