Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boshwan527's Satele Shan Saber Build

That makes total sense. Every now and then they'll say to pre-drill holes to take the pressure off the mill. I figured it'd be ok because I wasn't going through that much, but I never thought of it vibrating like that. Good news is I recognized it on the first one, so I just didn't pre-plunge the second hole on the rest of the slots. The first starter holes are in the extra stock I left on, so the rest of the slots are pretty smooth

Anyways, thanks for the tip! Always ready to learn.

I finished the slots on the other side today (not really picture worthy) And I started the coupler that will join the two halves (also not picture worthy)

man I wish we could have a saber party in there haha! that would be awesome

Haha i was told if you predrill (like you did) to use a significantly smaller drill bit for the predrill holes. Why? Because of movement/vibration.

Now i wish i had a mill in my office/hobby room... oh boy...
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

So today I was able to drill all the holes on the main hilt sections for the activation boxes. Then I cut the excess stock off. It's starting to take shape! I can't wait til my fins are done so I can really make it come together.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Wow! This saber is really taking off! I'm very much impressed by your work! still watching with great interest!

Thanks!!

alllllllright...some good progress today. I started by getting the two halves together in the mill and drilling the holes for the activation boxes:

I took a 13/16 endmill (cuz they have one of those haha!) and milled down a groove for the big part of the activation box to sit in:

...then rinse and repeat for the other side

So I was just working along at the mill next to the waterjet machine, when I noticed some little parts on a table next to them...it was my fins!! woohoo!

Unfortunately he didn't make me any extras I didn't want to ask though because he's been really busy and this was a personal project that he certainly could've refused. They turned out really nice though

I got home and laid everything out and filed down all my grooves because they were a little small and gave everything a test fit. I have to say I'm really pleased with how it's looking

next week is my spring break and the shop will be open...so hopefully I'll be able to get it completely finished (at least all of the machining)

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Boshwan... as of right now, you are my IDOL... Dude, this thing is looking SO good. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight_Zekk View Post
    Boshwan... as of right now, you are my IDOL... Dude, this thing is looking SO good. Congrats!
    you are too kind!!

Water jet @_@
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Excellent work, very nice.

We should meet someplace and get pics of the only two of these on the earth together

Great job!

CordaroyFog: you know, its really mean to set the bar that high.

Quote Originally Posted by slothfurnace View Post
    Excellent work, very nice.

We should meet someplace and get pics of the only two of these on the earth together

Great job!

Thanks! That would be awesome! we'll definitely have to make that happen