Thread: 616 Setup Question: Adding a Driver?

Default 616 Setup Question: Adding a Driver?

Good afternoon all (remember, if it's not afternoon where you are, you're just in the wrong time zone),

(Please see Edit 3 for the latest update)

I have been studying between here and Google, and after a lot of digging (and now being barely able to see over the ridge of the hole), I found the following diagram from Erv's site (not inserting image directly to save Erv the bandwidth):

http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc...MrBoard005.jpg

The only problem I have here is that Erv is no longer manufacturing his straightforward LED drivers, and the LED drivers we have available now seem to have more limited functionality and inputs (or they're not documented well).

I am trying to figure out how to duplicate this project using a different driver. Obviously, driving an LED and the 616 board is fairly simple if that's all I wanted to do, but I'm hoping to be able to incorporate the shimmer that Erv's board produced, and the rudimentary Flash on Clash that he was able to get as well.

Does anyone know of a driver board that can do this, and if so, how I could go about rigging it up?

(Edit: I did search, but unfortunately, my search skills are tuned to Google, not most forums, so I wasn't able to turn up much more than the thread lists and a handful of more generic questions.)

(Edit 2: I also found the thread regarding Corbin's driver, but I can't find that for sale anymore either, lol.)

Edit 3: It seems to me that THIS: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Co...iver-P609.aspx driver is what I need, correct? If I wire in a clash sensor, it should handle the flash on clash for the LED, while the 616 handles the clash sounds with its own onboard clash sensor, right? That just means I need a DPDT latching switch to engage the LED driver and the 616 at the same time, right?
    Last edited by Niassa; 03-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    "A Corellian Jedi who leaves the system does so at their own peril." ―Corellian saying

"I am the Force's ally - My only desire is the Force's Will." - Niassa Magan, Lady of the Force, Corellian Jedi with Dark leanings, but always serves the light.

Sabers:
    US Prophecy v3 SRD
    US Liberator v2 GB (Grab Bag!)
    US Dominix v2 BR (Grab Bag!)

Planned:
    US Arbiter
    Custom TCSS Saber (Still designing)
    Custom Corran Horn Replica Saber
    Custom Nejaa Halcyon Replica Saber

The Petit Crouton in the store could handle that, with all blade effects and excellent sound as well. A word of caution though: you need to completely power down the saber before changing colors. Inserting your killkey into the recharge port would be sufficient. Just turning off the saber is not.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    The Petit Crouton in the store could handle that, with all blade effects and excellent sound as well. A word of caution though: you need to completely power down the saber before changing colors. Inserting your killkey into the recharge port would be sufficient. Just turning off the saber is not.
    Thanks, the problem that I have though isn't that I can't find an all-in-one sound board or anything of the kind... I'm actually thinking of a CF for that purpose when I choose to go that route, I'm a big fan of Erv's work.

My question is what standalone LED driver can be used in place of the Plecter driver in the diagram linked above, and how would I wire it? Since the Plecter and Corbin drivers aren't produced anymore, there's no indication if the drivers in the store perform the tasks I'd like to do, and then the next question is how would I wire it. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.
    "A Corellian Jedi who leaves the system does so at their own peril." ―Corellian saying

"I am the Force's ally - My only desire is the Force's Will." - Niassa Magan, Lady of the Force, Corellian Jedi with Dark leanings, but always serves the light.

Sabers:
    US Prophecy v3 SRD
    US Liberator v2 GB (Grab Bag!)
    US Dominix v2 BR (Grab Bag!)

Planned:
    US Arbiter
    Custom TCSS Saber (Still designing)
    Custom Corran Horn Replica Saber
    Custom Nejaa Halcyon Replica Saber