Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Extend/Retract

Default Extend/Retract

Hello all... I'm new to this board and I've been considering getting an LED mod for my MRFX sabers. I've read up on a lot of topics, but I haven't come across anything about power up/ power down lighting effects. Has anyone figured out a way to do this? Thanks a lot.

The shop has one o' them there fancy computing chips; I think in the description it said that it could create a power up/down effect.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yup, the Corbin Das LED driver Tim/Styrdur stocks will give the power up/down effect, but I believe if you are modding the MR FX it wouldn't be possible. In an FX mod you're keeping the existing electronics which are desgned to light up strips in sequence not light up one LED gradually.

Thanks for the heads up info guys. That's a little disappointing that I can't get the effects with a MR saber. Oh well.

I don't know much about the guts of a MR, but if you were skilled couldn't you fit all the stuff in there? In the description it just says that you need to apply power, so would it matter that the MR electronics have a different method to light up the MR blade?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm not 100% on whether the light up is maintained but I seriously doubt it is. MR's light up strips of many lower powered LEDs as opposed to 1 luxeon. To get the up/down on 1 LED you need a driver that slowly brings up the voltage. Since the MR is just a strip the voltage is applied and goes down the line. I also believe in the conversion he takes out just the top to mount his blade holder in there and uses the rest of the existing electronics. I think taking out the batteries and switch would be really hard. Styrdur would know all of this for sure.

Stan is right, your problem is not in the electronics, but in the space in the hilt. The MR module works perfectly with the Corbin extend/retract module, only you need to find a way to fit them both in the hilt. Corbin's module also has the lock-up and shimmer effects wich add a lot to an MR. The only issue you have here is finding a way to add one more momentary switch to the hilt so you can use these features.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light side.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I knew that, but without corbin's driver (which doesn't come with what Tim offers as his conversion in the store) I don't think you get the up/down effect with just what's in the MR.

xwing, you're absolutely right. A straight conversion lights up the blade instantly. But I think the extend/retract effect is overrated anyway. I care a lot more for the shimmer, in a stage duelling situation it has a strong effect on the audience.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

I WAS RIGHT!?! HOLY CRAP, I'M NEVER RIGHT!