Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So expensive

Default So expensive

I am really interested in building my own lightsaber, but man is it expensive. I started putting it together with the custom shop, and I only had the out part together without any electronics, and I was already over 100. I understand why it's so expensive, but is there a cheaper way?

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Sink tube, PVC, or some other tube shaped material.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Choice 1 Buy an FX saber.
    Choice 2 Make it out of plumbing pipe. Metal or PVC your choice.
    Choice 3 Find a new hobby, this one isn't cheap.

well choice 3 doesnt sound like it, i would say save for what you really want- pvc is a great way to build inexpensive, stylish sabers with a little work, sinktube is another way, ive been building for over three years and im just getting to mhs parts, pvc has kept me plenty busy and ive seen plenty of impressive pvc sabers! so yes it still comes down to preference but with 73 sabers built i would say pvc is a inexpensive way to go- good luck!!

This isn't an inexpensive hobby, to be sure. As others have already stated, PVC and sinktubes from the hardware store are good ways to start on a budget.

Next you're gonna want to get some tools if you don't already have them. A Dremel or other rotary tool, soldering iron, set of small hand files, drill and drill bits...those will cover most of your early work. If you keep building, you'll soon be buying a soldering station, belt sander, drill press, toaster oven for paint baking, and a whole host of other things.

Watch your wallet closely. This is a great hobby, but it can run away with your finances if you don't watch yourself.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Actually, I'd thought that the hilt parts were the cheapest component. Just the sound card alone will put you over what you'll spend on a hilt. By the time you add LEDs, wiring, switches, and chassis parts...well, let's just say $400 is about right for a DIY build.

Totally worth it, though.

Trust me when I tell you 'cost is relative'.

I've been riding motorcycles for well over 15 years now. My last Harley cost me quite a bit a money and over the 5 years I owned it, I spent around the $10k on it (customizing it). It was alot of fun and I even won a couple of bike shows and got a 5 page spread in American Iron magazine. I was sad to let it go last summer, but it's been for the best.

This hobby is much more agreeable with my wallet (and my wife) And if you have patience and save up for what you're looking to do, a few hundred dollars isn't that bad.

I would already have my parts bought, but my wife and I found out around x-mas time we are expecting our 2nd child, so all the money I had saved had to go to doctors bills and appointments instead. But now that that's all paid for I'm saving up again and should be placing my initial order within a few weeks. A little patience goes a long way!
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

Here's how to get less expensive sabre pieces:

1) Go to Lindsay Books and buy a few books on lathing and machine shop work. I estimate you can get a pretty good library for a beginner for about $50.

2) Pick up a Mini-Lathe. I like MicroMark's 7 x 16 model, which will run you about $850, but you could probably get by with one of the Chinese 7 x 10s sold by Harbor Freight. You can find that link yourself.

3) If you're feeling really ambitious, you may also need a mini-mill, which will run you another $500, but that, again, is probably something you can do without, if you like.

Viola! Spend $1000 and several months learning the skills of machining, and you can have sabre parts for the cost of materials! Cheap, right?!

You forgot tooling for your lathe and mill. Figure another time as much for those. So it's looking closer to $2000.

Sound boards can be pricy, but you don't have to start with a Petit Crouton. There are less expensive options available, like the econo boards, MR/FX boards, or even having a soundless stunt saber. A decent stunt will have around $25-$50 in electronic bits (LED, switches, wire, etc) added to the cost of your hilt.
    Last edited by Silver Serpent; 02-28-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

If you guys are trying to convince me that it's not that expensive to buy from the saber shop then make it myself, I really do know. That's why I said: "I understand why it's so expensive." I was just curious for other websites or possibly other materials. And you guys suggested PVC, but I pretty much decided I would prefer paying more to a PVC build. I made my first purchase from the shop yesterday, so ya. Lol