Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So expensive

Why stop there? I could just get a Cnc machine for 300,000. Lol

Your not going to find links to other sites to buy saber stuff on this board as it is the forum for the store.
    As such the owner prefers users not to.

As for the cost, you can easily put together a full PC saber for $250.
    If you think that $125 is too much to pay for a sound board then you can buy a gutted MR/Hasbro FX board off of ebay for $40-$50
    Even further down you can grab an Ultimate FX saber for $30 and they seem to be rather decent, cheaper if you grab a sale or some used ones on ebay.

So if you want a really cheap saber grab some PVC and an Ultimate FX. $50 saber.
    Upgrade to a metal hilt, bright led and you have a $150 saber easy.

yes pvc does not cost very much which makes it a great alternative but you will still be over the 50 mark, if you have not seen darth midians pvc sabers then i would look his work up, anything but cheap looking!! it depends how much you put in to it- anybody can screw pieces together , i prefer to make the hilt myself its all preference and cost, i have other interests like racing on the weekends and surfing which both of those require time and money so i dont put it all in one hobby, but all these things take planning and saving so you will find what works best for you and your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by fatalonemanarmy View Post
    If you guys are trying to convince me that it's not that expensive to buy from the saber shop then make it myself, I really do know. That's why I said: "I understand why it's so expensive." I was just curious for other websites or possibly other materials. And you guys suggested PVC, but I pretty much decided I would prefer paying more to a PVC build. I made my first purchase from the shop yesterday, so ya. Lol
    Congratulations. You've just taken your first step into a larger world.

Actually, Tims prices are pretty fair, do you know how much it would cost to pay a machinist to make the same stuff? I would like to see the price on the activation boxes and some of the extensions go down a bit but for the most part your getting quality parts far cheaper than you could pay machinist to do a one off. His prices on switches, led, etc... is hard to beat and you can get everything in one place = one shipping charge. I thought I would get clever and source some stuff from distributors but they either dont have it, or want more money for it or have a certain quantity you have to buy first, trust me Tim has taken a lot of headaches away with his store.

As much as anything, it was just me venting. I hear "I could do that" and "Why do you charge so much for that?!" all the time, and sometimes, it just bubbles over.

I wasn't asking why. That's the point. I know quite a bit about maching actually. I understand the expenses of the machining equipment (hence the sarcastic CNC comment). I surely wouldn't say I could do it, and even if I could, I don't have the equipment necessary. I would just suggest not jumping on people without fully understanding what they're trying to say. I understand you hear it a lot though, but in other's defense, they don't understand how much expertise and precision goes into machining. I mean, as incredibly advance as a CNC machine is (I love those machines if you can't tell), there has to be someone highly skilled just to enter in all the exact specifications of each piece, and render the model. This alone isn't easy, even though the machine actually does all the work. Basically, I'm saying that I get both sides. Oh, and when someone says they can do it, my suggestion is to just let them. This will be all the payback you need... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Garrek View Post
    Your not going to find links to other sites to buy saber stuff on this board as it is the forum for the store.
    As such the owner prefers users not to.

As for the cost, you can easily put together a full PC saber for $250.
    If you think that $125 is too much to pay for a sound board then you can buy a gutted MR/Hasbro FX board off of ebay for $40-$50
    Even further down you can grab an Ultimate FX saber for $30 and they seem to be rather decent, cheaper if you grab a sale or some used ones on ebay.

So if you want a really cheap saber grab some PVC and an Ultimate FX. $50 saber.
    Upgrade to a metal hilt, bright led and you have a $150 saber easy.
    To by quite honest, I don't know why I said about people giving me other websites. I didn't really mean that, I just meant cheaper materials was all. I had just woken up and was still tired when I said that (I wake up late).

I do agree. I will be purchasing many more items here. I know there was a lot of money involved in the web design itself. I'm very thankful a site like this exists. Makes thing sooo much easier.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Quick tip. Don't double post (unless it has been a substantial amount of time). Use the edit feature. It is a great thing.