Thread: General electronics.....

Question General electronics.....

Ok so I am working on my first saber and I am HORRIBLE with boards and wires, and being 15, I have little money... I was wondering if anyone has used as many parts as possible from a hasboro toy lightsaber or anything like that(nothing too expensive)? I have a hilt made from sink tube and connectors with a little over an inch of space inside (small, I know, but that's the look I want). I figure I could buy a battery pack from TCCS and that will fit if nothing else because the pack I tried before was a little bit too big. Back to my main question; has anyone ever done anything like that before that could tell me step by step how they did it, what saber they took parts from, etc? Thanks guys! I really appreciate any help! I REALLY want to get this saber done!

I may be able to help, as I have just recently completed my first bare bones dirt cheap sink tube saber. If you used 1.25" sink tube, the 4AAA battery holder from TCCS will fit perfectly (a little wiggle room, but I wrapped with some thin foam to keep it from rattling). There is a blade holder that will work perfectly, given that you have enough space in the front. As far as the electronics, I used the cheapest hasbros I could find, which were the extending blade "ultimate fx" with the dvd. I ended up going through a couple, though, since it's a surgery job getting the electronics out; I hope you have a dremel.

Specifics;
    First of all, do NOT get the yoda version. The activation button is mounted on the board. This makes it very difficult to wire in an external switch. It can be done, but I failed my first try. I ended up succeeding with the Obi-Wan version.

Parts I got from the saber;
    Sound board (Take care to keep the motion sensor attached)
    Speaker (yes, I was that cheap)

Parts I ordered from TCCS;
    The Luxeon P4 kit (LED, heat sink, buck puck)
    1.25" blade mount
    Blade
    battery holder

Stuff I ended up buying from Radio Shack after I realized I needed it;
    Heat shrink (All sizes)
    PNP power transistor
    momentary switch (This is important for these boards because of how they are wired)

Minimum tools;
    soldering iron (along with electronic solder, and the thinnest wire you can find. Sorry, I don't know what mine is, I've had it for years)
    dremel (You will need a few cutting wheels and a drill that will go through the sink tube. Ask the people who work at your local hardware store)

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if none of this matters to you due to the fact that you didn't use a 1.25" tube.

This works PERFECTLY! Thank you sooooo much! Now hopefully I can hge this empty tube to looks like the ultimate sith saber! > but seriously... thanks a lot!

If anyone has more ideas, please feel free to pitch in

1rst I would recomend a multi speed dremel so that you can adjust the speed

2nd check out this tutorial on rewiring econo boards

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-Tutorial-quot
    Last edited by jin starkiller; 02-26-2012 at 03:01 PM.