Thread: LR 123A li-ion batteries?

Default LR 123A li-ion batteries?

Not sure if this counts as "new technology," but I wasn't sure where else to post this. Has anyone tried an LR123A li-ion battery with a lightsaber? I found one Yahoo! Auctions Japan, and saw that it was 3.6V and (supposedly) 2000 mHa. I didn't look closely at the dimensions, but judging from the photo and the capacity, I was expecting something about the size of a C battery. Imagine my surprise when this tiny thing arrived.
    Attachment 6474
    As you can see, it's slightly fatter than a 14000 (16.5 mm) and much shorter (33.9 mm). 2000 mHa is probably a bit of an exaggeration, and I saw somewhere online the figure 1800 mHa, which is probably closer.

Either way, it's pretty amazing to pack this much capacity into such a little package. Has anyone tried this with a saber yet? Is there a catch that I'm missing here? This seems too good to be true. If this could power a Petit Crouton or Crystal Focus and a 3 or 5 volt LED for more than 30 minutes or so, it would be a godsend.
    There's always a bigger fish.

I use LR 123's and CR 123's in maxum gauges at work. They don't last too long in my gauges, maybe a few weeks at most in a device that is "on" for about 5 minutes at most, 8 times a day, and has very little draw. I haven't looked into them too much, I just figured they, like 9 volts were for low current long shelf life situations. I've never tried them in a saber. I know for a fact they make battery holders for single LR 123's though.

They are mostly used in digital cameras if I recall, not a camera person myself, have no idea how long a camera battery lasts.

If you try it and it works, awesome, I can "liberate" batteries from work, and they are quite small, and would greatly help cram-fu.
    Last edited by Darth Odious; 02-24-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks, DO. 1800 ~ 2000 mAh *should* provide decent run times, but I suppose the only way to find out is to try one out.
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 02-24-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    There's always a bigger fish.

I use the batteries all the time, but not in lightsabers. I actually use them in tactical lights for my colt 1911 for airsoft. Actually pretty much all the tac lights my buddies and i use run on them. They tend to last us quite a while, granted we use the lights in small bursts, leaving them on just makes us a big old target.

trustfire actually makes rechargable ones as well if i recall correctly
    "Your eyes can decieve you. Be mindful of your feelings. Girls are fun but dangerous. Lando has extra cards up his sleeve" - Ben skywalker