Thread: Hello Fellow Lightsaber Enthusiasts

Default Hello Fellow Lightsaber Enthusiasts

I figured I would go ahead and post in here and say hello to everyone. I just recently discovered the lightsaber building scene so I'm still very uneducated when it comes to all the different bells and whistles involved in building. Hopefully I can find all the answers to my questions without showing too much of my ignorance.

A few years ago I found a website that had build plans for lightsabers. I started with a Darth Vader replica, all from plumbing pipes and stuff I came across in Lowes. Now, years later, I decided to design my own and undertook the project of building it just 2 weeks ago. Now it's almost completed (I will post pics after it's done to see what people think) and it's only just wet my appetite for what I've already seen that is out there.

One question I do have is where do you find parts like the ones Slothfurnace used on his Obi-wan build? Particularly the emitter. I mean I totally understand those can't be generic parts but I'm having a hard time finding anything like those pieces he has.

Eventually it's my goal to make an even better version of my design with a blade and sounds and such, but then also I want to build a replica of each saber, and I mean build them. If I'm going to spend any money on this stuff the only way to justify it in my book is if I put everything together with my own hands.

A lengthy introduction I know, but hopefully everyone reading this can understand where I've been, where I am, and where I plan to go.

Cheers,
    Kairu

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Welcome & Congratulations on finding the most friendliest group of saber enthusiasts. Your first task is to READ, READ, READ, and when you think you got, READ some more. This is the single most important you can do. There is a lot of great information here, and if you don't understand something, ASK. We will be more than happy to guide you in the right path.

As for your question; (If it isn't sold in the attached store, probably better not ask. It's not good etiquette)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
    One question I do have is where do you find parts like the ones Slothfurnace used on his Obi-wan build? Particularly the emitter. I mean I totally understand those can't be generic parts but I'm having a hard time finding anything like those pieces he has.
    Sloth and many other Sabersmiths machine their own parts.

As for your builds; Take your time, and plan it out. The can be a very expansive hobby. Other than that have fun, can't wait to see what you build.

MTFBWYA

Another sabersmith from Alabama. Welcome! I too have done the Vader-esque hardware saber. It's a great way to start in this hobby.

Read the stickies. All of them. Read until you're tired of reading, then read some more. I was here for a few months before I registered to post, and it helped me get a good feeling for all the lingo around here.

Enjoy your stay, we look forward to seeing what you have built. And mind your wallet, this hobby can get expensive in a hurry. You can never build just one.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Well thank you both for the warm welcome, advice, and suggestions. It is all very much appreciated.

I'll be sure to brush up on the forum etiquette as well, so I'll be sure to not make any mistakes.

I never imagined there would be another sabersmith on here from Alabama, so that's a pleasant surprise. I had to modify my Darth Vader saber a bit to make it look a little closer to the real thing but yes, it was a really nice place to start.

I understand the wallet thing already, I'm now only on my second saber and I already have dreams of many more to come. Hopefully I'll be able to keep a sound mind as to not overwhelm myself, but it's going to be difficult, I can tell.

I am almost done with my second now, I am curious though, would I post pics here or in the Gallery section?

Also I did have another question- I don't see a lot of Anakin AOTC sabers around, is there any specific reason for this, are they hard to make?

Alright, here's the last question- Is it possible to have a generic core (not sure what the proper term is but this is referring to a crystal chamber and all the electronics necessary for sound and an illuminated blade) that is interchangeable between different sabers? One goal I would like to accomplish is to make a replica of each character's lightsaber, such as Anakin, Obi-wan, Mace Windu, Darth Vader, and Luke. It just seems like it'd be a whole lot cheaper to have a single core to interchange with any of them. Just curious, hopefully I explained that well enough.

-Kairu

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Kon nichi wa, Kairu-san, and welcome to TCSS!

"I am almost done with my second now, I am curious though, would I post pics here or in the Gallery section?" Post your finished build images in the Gallery and also in the LED Colors/Blades section.

"Also I did have another question- I don't see a lot of Anakin AOTC sabers around, is there any specific reason for this, are they hard to make?" Probably not, maybe just not as much interest in that specific variant.

"Alright, here's the last question- Is it possible to have a generic core (not sure what the proper term is but this is referring to a crystal chamber and all the electronics necessary for sound and an illuminated blade) that is interchangeable between different sabers? One goal I would like to accomplish is to make a replica of each character's lightsaber, such as Anakin, Obi-wan, Mace Windu, Darth Vader, and Luke. It just seems like it'd be a whole lot cheaper to have a single core to interchange with any of them. Just curious, hopefully I explained that well enough. " Good enough explaination to get the idea across. I don't see why you couldn't do it. Using the chasis parts and lengthing or shortening the rods in between the discs you should be able to up or down scale a core to fit the length of the hilt. Connect your Activation switch, Blade LED, and such with JT connectors and you should be able to swap out the core with proper planning. Throw in a Crystal Focus board with multiple fonts and you could change up the sound as you change the hilt. I would think that it really hasn't been done is to have the individual sabers on hand as complete units. Depending on how much you show them, it'd get tedious taking them apart and putting them together again to show off each one. It's also fun to just pick it up and fire it up. ; }
    Last edited by Boj-Vaati Mau; 02-28-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Arigatou!

Well I have pics up of my finished hilts in the gallery section if any of you would like to take a look.

Thank you for your great answers, Boj! (Can I call you Boj? Not sure how you would even pronounce that. I apologize for not knowing how to properly pronounce your name)

As for the generic core reply- I now see the inconvenience it would cause to swap out something like that between sabers. I'm all for being cost effective but that sounds a little too difficult because I would indeed like to show of multiple sabers at once. As far as I know, sound boards are the most expensive single piece of a lightsaber, or at least it can be depending on how fancy you get, but from your reply it seems like removing and installing a sound card could be made simple with some easy on/off connectors. I may be completely wrong though. However, if I'm not, are there any plans you could direct me to that would help me figure out about the changing out of sound boards? Maybe even just a useful thread? I probably shouldn't have asked that but I figure I will anyway just incase there is something specific about what I'm looking at doing, I wouldn't really know how to word a specific search like that. Until then I'll be researching sound boards and all the electronics components associated with sabers.

Hope you like the hilts I put together. Thank you for the warm welcome!

-Kairu

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Dō itashima****e. I've forgotten most of the Nihon-go I learned though...

You did some good work on your hardware sabers. That experience will come in handy in your MHS builds.

Not a problem to shorten my Jedi name, almost all do. Plosive B, O as in speaking it alphabeteically, and the J is fricative so it's pronounced as "zuh".

Swapping out the sound board might be the better option. Use PVC in your sled/chasis with slots cut in the inside diameter to hold it. Use the JT connectors to pop it off one then onto another, leaving all other internals in each saber...

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion