Thread: Crystal Focus and Wires on the back side..

Default Crystal Focus and Wires on the back side..

Hello all,

I have seen, what appears to be, people inserting wires on the backside of a PC or CF and then Soldering them on the front. I too have seen many post that you shouldn't solder on the back of these cards.

Do most of you insert the wires in through the holes on the pads and then solder them in place? If you insert the wires on the top side of the card, do you still solder them on the topside? Or do you solder them on the back side.

Lastly, Has anyone ever put post terminals on the PC or CF? I am talking about little post that you could then slip a connector over similar to the power and led post on Motherboards.

Thanks for the input and suggestions..

Correction: You can solder on whichever side you like, just refrain from putting the wires *through* the holes, as in some places on the board they are prone to short circuit.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Thanks for the replies, I was wondering as I have seen a lot of different soldering techniques on the cards and the last thing I want to do is ruin a CF card after the $$ Spent.

What about the post terminals? Anyone see that done? Here is what I am talking about.
    panel_leitungen.jpg

I have a bunch of those little pin jacks and was thinking it might be handy. I'd do what many PC makers do and put a dab of silicone on it to hold it to the CF.

I would think the post terminals might have problem with cram-fu. So I wouldn't do it unless you have a lot of room for it.

-S.R.

Space is usually in short supply inside hilts. Also, most of the soldering points are not lined up in a manner that would allow you to easily install a set of headers. You'd have to do them in singles.

Can you do it? Probably. Should you do it? I wouldn't.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

If you don't feel comfortable soldering to a CF (and don't be embarrassed, there are far fewer people that can do it than those that can't) you may want to head over to the FX forums and find someone that can do it for you. Most damage done to a CF or PC can be repaired but why take the chance if you're not ready for it?

I would not suggest trying to put other connectors on the board. It is best to solder directly to it.

Yea I bet the post would impede cramfu...lol. I am an IT guy and tend to think of ease of modification before I think of much more. My computers are never done, I am using the same chassis from 15 years ago, but it has all new components upgraded for SWTOR. I tend to rebuild everything in it every couple years..lol

I am not too worried about my soldering, I used to be pretty capable back in the 80's and 90's when IT techs had to do a lot of that kinda stuff...nowadays, it's easier and more cost efficient to just replace the board..lol. I'll just do what I do when I go to target shoot and lay off the caffeine the days I am soldering..lol

I did by a practice board and some resistors from the Shack to practice on. I am hoping soldering is like Welding. I hadn't Mig/Arc or Gas Welded since Highschool in the 80's. I restored a 1982 CJ-7 and had to pick it up again, after the first couple test welds I was back to old form...lol.

I will create a build thread with my steps...Making the order of parts today from Tim..

Thanks guys..and possible gals...

If you've done soldering before, it'll come right back to you.

Luckily, almost all the modifications you'll do with a CF or PC will involve the SD card, and not the components on the board itself. You could use quick disconnects if you wanted things to be modular, but you'll want to use small ones. You run out of space in a hurry inside a hilt.

Also, they're not just possible. There are female saber builders here. Some really good ones too.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!