Thread: Before you flame, please consider this "black blade" idea.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Before you flame, please consider this "black blade" idea.

Im prepared to be flamed or something for this, but its worth a try, just hear me out.
    I know a "black blade is not truly possible how we all imagine, unless we use After Effects (with viideo co-pilots helpful tips)

I was thinking. to make a black blade as seen here:

Maybe use a single white LED (brightest is Seoul P4, if Im remembering correctly) at the base of the hilt.

Take a mix of Jay-Gon Jinn's blade construction here:

And place styrofoam like Hasbro and MR use in their LED blades, but cover the styrofoam in black material.
    (Im currently using electrical tape to test it, and I will post pictures soon. Im actually nowhere near home as Im typing this but I needed to try and get this to someone who may feel like trying sooner.)

Im thinking that maybe the LED with the help of the thick plastic of the outer blade will help the white stand out even more, and solve the black blade controversy.

When I get home, which won't be for at least 4 days, I will put this sith to work. If anyone wants to try before me, please do.
    "I have brought Peace! Freedom! Justice! And Security to my new Empire!" -Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker

I tried something simmilar by accident. I wanted the wrap my 1" trans white show blade with celophan and used one that's not totally transparent and a little more silver.
    the result was, that the blade was totally dark and you saw no light at all.

just wanted to share my experience with you and I really don't want to stop you from trying it yourself.

BR bato

Damn. Thanks though. Im still gonna try, but maybe I can use something really really thin, but has no possibility of transparency at all. Im still thinking of ways, maybe get some of the white light to bounce off of a somewhat shiny black rod, to give the blade a reference of light intensity as it goes further up the blade.
    "I have brought Peace! Freedom! Justice! And Security to my new Empire!" -Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Plexus View Post
    Damn. Thanks though. Im still gonna try, but maybe I can use something really really thin, but has no possibility of transparency at all. Im still thinking of ways, maybe get some of the white light to bounce off of a somewhat shiny black rod, to give the blade a reference of light intensity as it goes further up the blade.
    your light wont travel up the blade because you're obscuring it with that rod.

unless you

#1 made that black rod very thin to give room for the light to go up the sides

and

#2 used a pair of axicons (cone lenses) to give the beam an annular form otherwise you'll still lose a lot of light as the rod would obscure the led.

and use cinefoil matte black, not something shiny. also those lenses i mentioned are very expensive unless you could find cheap glass or acrylic alternatives. whole lot of caveats here....

Not going to flame, but please read this sticky post. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-quot-Threads

When you have a working prototype with build log, please go ahead and show us.
    Last edited by Silver Serpent; 02-15-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Doesn't work. I hate to say it but you should try your ideas before you post. There has only been one "successful" version of this so far and I wouldn't even really call it successful since it was only viewable at two specific angles.