Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1st Saber Prject Layout Concept. Let me know what you think

thanks for the pic!
    I plan using an Igniter too on my first build, really nice features indeed.

Altho I'm still working on the design right now, I see it won't be so far from your long saber, hence a couple questions:
    - would you mind showing how you'll fit the igniter inside the grooved sections (or is it going to fit in the middle 3" section?), that's my first point of concern.
    - what kind of power source will you use? I'd like a couple of 18650s, but I'm not familiar yet with the size of one of these versus the size of MHS parts.

Thanks!
    Clicky Sig =>

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ryō View Post
    thanks for the pic!

Altho I'm still working on the design right now, I see it won't be so far from your long saber, hence a couple questions:
    - would you mind showing how you'll fit the igniter inside the grooved sections (or is it going to fit in the middle 3" section?), that's my first point of concern.
    - what kind of power source will you use? I'd like a couple of 18650s, but I'm not familiar yet with the size of one of these versus the size of MHS parts.

Thanks!
    Well the saber im putting everthing into is pretty long, 14 inches.
    that said i plan to use delrin chasis disks to mount the board near the top of the saber with an intergrated recharge port.
    then switch plate then battery pack and speaker unit.
    Igniter with accents ( prob 4 of them )
    7.4v Li-ion 1600mAh 14500 Battery Pack
    Lighted Ring AV with ball momentary
    2w Prem Speaker and delrin speaker mount
    10w LEDENGIN RGBW
    Note: ribbed section is kind of tight so we will see how initial plans go for fitting
    I still neeed to make some shrouds for the top and bottom, a recent revamp based off a new idea.
    Mock pics will be posted in the next few days i think

So i have been pondering some accent shrouding to the saber project, would like to take opinions.
    recharge port is above main switch along with PLI mounted into grenade grip.
    I my add a kill key down my the pommel.

I really like the look of the saber. Too bad its probably going to cost you an arm and a leg to make. At least it will be worth it

Since you're asking for opinions: personally, I think the power level meter is too much. But then again, I'm not a fan of ever cutting slots or holes into grenade or ribbed sections unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to fit a something essential, like a switch. Beyond that, I like v.1 better. V.2 looks like two sabers awkwardly joined in the middle, and lacks a certain flow; v.1 doesn't have that problem, for some reason (though I would still urge you to consider integrating the shroud a bit more with the grenade sections, and not just keeping it on the flat bits).
    Boring conversation anyway...

thought about some connected sections but my main purpose was to hide the joint lines.my inital plan was to mount the PLI opposite the main switch, then was thinking 90* off the main switch.
    Seemed cleaner an easier to mount it all inline.

V2 all the way.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Digging that too, after looking at some of ARKM's builds i have possibly moved back to a dual speaker setup by adding sound holes in each ribbed section.
    Side mounting the screws to conceal them more

+1 for the V2 version. Looking good so far

I like the idea of a double speaker setup, which is also my plan. However I wonder how it would sound with "tiny looking" holes in the ribbed sections.
    I also like the PLI idea, yet I would have put it at the other side of the switch area in the middle section as originaly planned (since I guess that the ribbed upper section will be where you actually grab your saber).

Since you have enough room, maybe the newly added 7.4v Li-ion 1400mAh 18500 Battery Pack could be an option over the 7.4v Li-ion 1600mAh 14500 Battery Pack?

(Oh and really noob question, what program do you use to design your saber? these images look great)
    Clicky Sig =>

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ryō View Post
    thanks for the pic!

Thanks!
    i have the same basic design (except for pommel / blade holder) and I ended up using a pair of 18350s so that I could keep the batteries entirely in the back half and my PC in the front. With 18650s you're going to have to either put 1 batt in each ribbed section and the sound board in the middle under the switches... the new PC would fit in there but the older one (mine) would require relocation of the sensors and choke.

A better battery solution would be the new 14650s or 18500s that Tim now stocks.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.