Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Saber Prject Layout Concept. Let me know what you think

Question 1st Saber Prject Layout Concept. Let me know what you think

So i have been toying around with the builder for a few years is seems. have always wanted to build a saber, but didnt like any of the stock hilts and lengths they get to when its all added together. So here is the concept i am looking to build.

The switches protrude down into the section where they're mounted. You may be better off having your PLI mounted 90 degrees, rather than 180, from the switches.

I figured there maybe some space issues. So i figured i would run a smaller battery pack to solve the space issues or the PLI n the switches. Will have to see when i get the parts ordered.
    Still havent got the electronics figured out yet. But as everything i will be a work in progress.

Don't worry about the pommel structure being weak, it is not important. Bigger holes there will give better sound. With 2 of the grip sections space will become a problem. Put more thought into the inside verses the outside before committing to a design.

with my first saber I used two of those gripped extensions and I really got into space problems.
    I had to put the soundboard in the front and the batterypack (2 14500s) in the back section, but I only used one AV-style switch and 2 accent leds in the hilt.
    The size-difference between the normal extensions and the gripped extensions doesn't sound that bad, but it is. I was only able to put one layer of electrical tape around the batterypack, otherwise it would have been too thick to fit inside.
    If you are able to put everything inside the hilt, I think you will be happy with the look of the gripped extensions, but one additional problem is, that the grooves (if you use 2 extensions) are not in one line (as you see on my saber http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...isfortune-star)

BR bato

Hmm well i wonder if i can have them index the center grooved section so the V grooves line up. will take some further research. I currently have it set as a 3" section could easily enough goto a 4" but the design is pretty set. I will probally pusue the custom indexing option. I have fiddled around with this layout for the last year or two.

Now batteries I was figuring goin with less but higher output to acheive the same efffect. I want an obdisian soundboard just need to caluculate what size of batt i need to run the board and a beefy speaker and LED.

Anyone here worked with the obsidian boards?

Builder says length is 13.85" still long for my tastes i actually want it under 12" but dont see the options without massive cutting.
    Last edited by DemonBunnyman; 02-15-2012 at 10:33 AM.

IF your going with an Obsidian what is the second button for? There aren't any AUX sounds or extra uses for a second button that I'm aware of. I used one of them on a small saber but have switched over to a PC which I like way better. The PC is also far easier to use when you have wires running to different locations for battery and all of the other good stuff.

Wasnt aware of the needs for the Obsidian board. but i do like the looks of the double switch. So maybe a dummy or possibly some internal pommel lighting meh lol we will see.

That is not fair.

I was looking at a double-grip design, myself, but would be bugged by a misalignment of the two sections. Any ideas on how to combat this? I finally settled on a design I truly loved; I don't want it marred by an asymmetrical arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Batosai View Post
    with my first saber I used two of those gripped extensions and I really got into space problems.
    I had to put the soundboard in the front and the batterypack (2 14500s) in the back section, but I only used one AV-style switch and 2 accent leds in the hilt.
    The size-difference between the normal extensions and the gripped extensions doesn't sound that bad, but it is. I was only able to put one layer of electrical tape around the batterypack, otherwise it would have been too thick to fit inside.
    If you are able to put everything inside the hilt, I think you will be happy with the look of the gripped extensions, but one additional problem is, that the grooves (if you use 2 extensions) are not in one line (as you see on my saber http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...isfortune-star)

BR bato
    Any possibility that the alignment issue was because of the use of trim rings? Like the OP and BlessedWrath, I'm also planning a design that uses the same extensions.

Or do you have any other thoughts on avoiding the problem based on your work with the part?