Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buying powder-coated parts at different times

The new copper metallic is very different than the old copper jacket metallic. I don't know why you changed it, but I liked the old one much better. The copper metallic is too orangish.
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who i am not."

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Not sure how "old" you are referring to but I have purchased the same copper metallic for the last 3 years almost.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Here's a comparative picture of the old Copper Jacket Metallic versus the new Copper Metallic.

The colors are very different. The old one looked more like real metal. The new one is more orangish and looks like the plastic choke of the Master Replicas Obi-Wan Episode III FX lightsaber.

CopperJacketMetallicVsCopperMetallic.jpg
    Last edited by sfer1; 02-06-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who i am not."

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    The new copper metallic is very different than the old copper jacket metallic. I don't know why you changed it, but I liked the old one much better. The copper metallic is too orangish.
    I can answer this..."he" didn't change it, the manufacturer did. The manufacturer changes their formula/mixtures of pigments periodically as the colors "evolve" and become more "realistic". Newer coppers are more orange than the older ones because copper itself is more orange...at least that is what the distributor tells me
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

The one on the left looks more like a zinc-plated copper color. The right one is closer to the true color of copper (maybe a bit too orange), although it lacks a certain sheen that I generally associate with the metal. Of course, this could be an effect of the camera's white balance, the lighting being shone on it, my screen's calibration, etc. I'd get a piece of copper house wire and compare it to that. Household wiring is supposed to be pure copper.

As for the color changing over time, I think Lord Dottore Matto has it right. If they figure out a color formula that looks more "copper" colored, they may change it. The same thing happens in a lot of industries which is why they recommend that if you absolutely need a specific color to match you should buy it from the same lot at the same time. A paint shop will do a color match for you if you bring in a sample. Not sure how that would work with powder coating though.