Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying powder-coated parts at different times

Default Buying powder-coated parts at different times

If I buy two MHS bits with powder-coating at two different times, how likely is it that the nominal same color will be noticeably different on the two parts?

I have never noticed a difference, even with parts that were ordered months apart. Tim does awesome work.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Good to know, thanks. It'll probably be easier for me to find the money to order parts piece by piece instead of all at once. Can a part be powder-coated and then media blasted to take the shine off the finish, or will the blasting take the whole finish off?

You can do media blasting before applying PC, not the other way around. It'll have a more pronounced effect if you're using the translucent PC colors.

Buying a piece at a time may seem easier on your wallet, but you'll end up paying a good bit more on shipping. I'd recommend getting a shoebox or something and stashing money away until you can afford to get most of the saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

As far as I'm concerned, I haven't noticed significative differences..

Buying a piece at a time may seem easier on your wallet, but you'll end up paying a good bit more on shipping. I'd recommend getting a shoebox or something and stashing money away until you can afford to get most of the saber.

Haha yes, it's a good way, but doesn't work with impatient people (like me)

IMHO.. some things to keep in mind.

1.) if doing a 'trans' color.. IMHO.. its always bet to have a nice buff/polish on the piece before hand.. (and flaw, scratch or imperfection shows well uner trans colors for the most part)

2.) colors should match unless from a different supplier or different finish.

3.) you would use a flat or matte color if you dont want a 'shine/gloss' on your finish (not media blast it)

4.) you can lathe/machine down section on pc'd part to make grooves or reveal bare metal under in any fashion/pattern (for the most part)

5.) if you do powdering coating AFTER and on different parts at different times.. keep in mind that things like blade retention screws, switch holes.. leds holes..etc might not line up after pc'ing as they will not screw together the same as when bare metal ( and hence the time you got your holes drilled)

I wouldn't recommend it. I've done them at different times and noticed some big differences. It essentially has made me have to redo all the pieces (at the same time).
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

The only color that has ever changed (that I can recall) has been the Black Chrome.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

powdercoat.jpg
    I don't know why they look different but they do. Both are the "copper metallic" color. The blade holder (first one to get PC) is much more "coppery" than the more recent ribbed extension (more of a dull almost red color). Luckily I've redesigned both parts to work on different sabers. But at least for me I'll plan on doing my PCs at the same.
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I take that back.. the copper changed as well lol. There should not be any changes here on out but you never know I guess.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop