Thread: Still having issues with the AV switch

Default Still having issues with the AV switch

Hi. Im still having troubles with the av switch. I have looked all through the forums and looked at the resistor chart diagram but still having issues. I wired up my switch and cant get the led on the switch to light up. Can someone explain to me what im doing wrong. Maybe use paint to draw something up cause i cant get this to work. not sure if its something im doing wrong or if i just got a bad switch. plz help

It usually helps If you provide the picture and wiring diagram of what you have. That way we can help you where you might have went wrong. Omnipotence is restricted to Quniverse, and not these parts. There is no way for us to know what is right in front of you unless you apply it to our display. I understand your are having trouble but the only way to diagnose the problem is to know what you have to begin with. Put things in your picture even as representation, such as voltage, wires leading to and fro, Led's etc.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

This is the diagram i used. had it setup just like this. Switch LEd wont come on at all.
    Setup.JPG

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Are you sure the polarity of the LED is correct? If it is reveresed it won't work at all. I am sure you probably checked that but it never hurts to double check or try it the other way.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Are you sure you have it setup JUST like that? Many people their first time out hook up in series, when parallel is required not knowing it is wrong.If you did hook it up in series, It is more likely you blew the led within the switch.Maybe try getting a close up shot of the actual wiring removed from the hilt. Also my personal preference is to put the resistor on the positive leg. You can test the led on the switch with two watch batteries in series directly on the two contacts. If it lights up with the watch batteries test it is likely your wiring. Provided the watch battery test prove unsatisfactory results and on the off chance Tim did not test it before leaving, I would try contacting him via email.
    Last edited by Ari-Jaq Xulden; 02-12-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Good catch Ari, I didn't pay that much attention to the diagram, I was just asking a standard question. I would also suggest that you wire it in parallel with the main LED too (with the proper size and wattage resistors for each LED) instead of series.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Well if I did it exactly like the diagram then that it would be fine right? Cause that would make it parallel right

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, that is parallel, but the main LED doesn't have a resistor. It is good general practice to put the resistor on the same side of the circuit so you don't get confused. Ex: if you put the accent LED resistor on the - side, then put the main LED on the - side unless other parts of the circuit prevent it. I would test the switch LED with 2 AAA batteries in series (3V) and see if it works by itself. If it does you can rule out that the LED is fried. If it doesn't work, then the LED is more than likely fried.

Yeah I have the resist I need for main led just not in pic cause I was mainly have askin about the switch. I have the resist on same side as main led