Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: To 3D? Or not to 3D? That... Well you know the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
    I went just to see it in theaters again. Just like all Star Wars movies, you tend to judge it less harshly as time goes by. Jar Jar was still as annoying as ever, but the pod race was fantastic and the 3d really added a lot to that scene. The rest of the 3d is pretty subtle, but I found that I enjoyed it much more this second go around. I still got massive goosebumps when Darth Maul ignites his saber staff. It's still to this day the most memorable thing I've seen in theaters (was born in '82 so I missed the original trilogy in theaters).

It was really great seeing a whole new generation of Star Wars fans being born. It made me reminisce about seeing it the first time, and I think I'd been focusing too much on it's downsides. In all fairness, if you judge them objectively, none of the 6 are really great movies to begin with. They all have their flaws (except ESB, and to a lesser extent, RotS).
    IMO, the main problem now is that technologic allows to show it all: When Lucas began the trilogy he was limited by the means of the late 70's so he focused more on the story, and actors. This phenomenon can be generalized to almost all these current hollow and souless films. (and all the tragic stories and consequences of the whole "prelogy" summed, compressed, or shrinked in the last half an hour of RoTS are one of the greatest mistakes of movie history) but hey, that's only my opinion
    Last edited by Vlad Doon; 02-16-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Doon View Post
    IMO, the main problem now is that technologic allows to show it all: When Lucas began the trilogy he was limited by the means of the late 70's so he focused more on the story, and actors. This phenomenon can be generalized to almost all these current hollow and souless films. (and all the tragic stories and consequences of the whole "prelogy" summed, compressed, or shrinked in the last half an hour of RoTS are one of the greatest mistakes of movie history) but hey, that's only my opinion
    true, and IMO, I believe the bottom line is this: Mr. Lucas did what he could, with what he had, where he was at, and I commend him for his work on Star Wars, and on inspiring the Animation and VFX company ILM. right? after all, ILM was founded by him and started out with Star Wars, and look at them now. Everyone (that's interested in Animation and VFX) would love to work for ILM. now, I believe that TPM 3D was indeed a foolish publicity stunt and another attempt at getting more money, since he knew that he didn't shoot the original film in 3D, he knew it wasn't gonna be as good as Avatar, and other "True" 3D movies of our day, so I would pass my judgement on this film as this: Publicity, Money, and essentially, Necroposting. lol

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterTim View Post
    true, and IMO, I believe the bottom line is this: Mr. Lucas did what he could, with what he had, where he was at, and I commend him for his work on Star Wars, and on inspiring the Animation and VFX company ILM. right? after all, ILM was founded by him and started out with Star Wars, and look at them now. Everyone (that's interested in Animation and VFX) would love to work for ILM. now, I believe that TPM 3D was indeed a foolish publicity stunt and another attempt at getting more money, since he knew that he didn't shoot the original film in 3D, he knew it wasn't gonna be as good as Avatar, and other "True" 3D movies of our day, so I would pass my judgement on this film as this: Publicity, Money, and essentially, Necroposting. lol
    HAha you've found the word 3D NECROPOSTING....

HAha you've found the word 3D NECROPOSTING....
    haha exactly. lol the "thread" is like almost as old as I am xD haha I remember it comin out when I was a kid, he definitely should have left it in the 90's instead of tryin to make it "3D" lol

yeah, or maybe sell the rights to others to do a remake... (bioware for example)

haha yep. lol he needs to put down everything else he's doin, and do another new Star Wars movie, like do The Force Unleashed or somethin, and that would be cool.

Absolutely agree. To me the true issue is that George just isn't a good director (as has been proven time and time again). He has great ideas and is really creative, but he just isn't suited to the directors chair. I still count RotS as my 2nd favorite of the 6, but the script/directing of the movie is just awful. I accept it because I love Star Wars, but if the movie was scripted and directed by someone competent, it could have been so much more.

Given his track record with making changes and trying to squeeze as much cash out of his fan base as possible, I'm honestly shocked that he hasn't proposed rebooting the original trilogy. I think it's inevitable that it will eventually happen, and the most we could hope for is that George will stay away from it as much as possible.

Absolutely agree. To me the true issue is that George just isn't a good director (as has been proven time and time again). He has great ideas and is really creative, but he just isn't suited to the directors chair. I still count RotS as my 2nd favorite of the 6, but the script/directing of the movie is just awful. I accept it because I love Star Wars, but if the movie was scripted and directed by someone competent, it could have been so much more.

Given his track record with making changes and trying to squeeze as much cash out of his fan base as possible, I'm honestly shocked that he hasn't proposed rebooting the original trilogy. I think it's inevitable that it will eventually happen, and the most we could hope for is that George will stay away from it as much as possible.
    OOh the only idea of rebooting the original trilogy provoques me serious heart failure.... Maybe these movies look like a bit old fashion now, and I'm not usually too nostalgic (maybe a little bit), but the only fact that they are still a reference nowadays is a proof of their quality, due to a lot of factors such as good actors, directing, ideas (thanks george), and innovation.
    We have to greet him especially for his vision, audacity, in a time when conservatism was reigning in blockbusters film industry. But now, 35 years after, it seems that this conservatism has came back (together with a cult devoted to the young and teenager audience), and this very rebel who fought it is now part of it. That's why the prelogy can not mark its time and cannot be as good as the original, because it's a copy, without the spirit, the essence, the mythology.
    This is the most important part which causes the audience to feel much more drama and epic watching the 40 second (physically and technically limited) fight between vader and luke, than seeing the (too much expected) fight between anakin and obiwan.
    You are absolutly right about the fact that RoTS is far better (even if it's very deceiving IMO) than the TPM and AoTC disasters. Isn't it because it's more serious and come back to the roots of the myth ?
    Last edited by Vlad Doon; 02-23-2012 at 08:20 AM.

You are absolutly right about the fact that RoTS is far better (even if it's very deceiving IMO) than the TPM and AoTC disasters. Isn't it because it's more serious and come back to the roots of the myth ?
    Yup. It still annoys me to no end how Order 66 was portrayed, and all the inconsistencies between it and what we know about the original trilogy.

I just hate the fact that the entire jedi order was wiped out in a couple of minutes and barely any of them even manage to fight back. Really the jedi in general looked very weak. They just aren't given justice. I hated seeing all my favorite jedi wiped out so unceremoniously. Kit Fisto goes down to Palpatine without ever swinging, Plo Koon dies in his ship to clones, and Aayla Secura doesn't even put up a fight. It's just sad. Lucas treats them as fillers and they deserved so much more.

Yup. It still annoys me to no end how Order 66 was portrayed, and all the inconsistencies between it and what we know about the original trilogy.

I just hate the fact that the entire jedi order was wiped out in a couple of minutes and barely any of them even manage to fight back. Really the jedi in general looked very weak. They just aren't given justice. I hated seeing all my favorite jedi wiped out so unceremoniously. Kit Fisto goes down to Palpatine without ever swinging, Plo Koon dies in his ship to clones, and Aayla Secura doesn't even put up a fight. It's just sad. Lucas treats them as fillers and they deserved so much more.
    that's how I feel about it too. The Jedi looked so weak, I wanted to see some hardcore fighting(since George has the capability to produce that), between the clones and the Jedi. like a little flirtation with the darkside even, along with some epic fighting music, portraying them as though they fought so hard, the Jedi were no match for the mass-produced clones. I wanted to see a few force chokes or a massive force push of a group of clones off a catwalk on Kamino, or something hardcore Jedi style in general. :/ I am surprised at him for not working on every Star Wars film like he did the beginning ones. :/