Thread: Activation box style 8

Default Activation box style 8

Good day,

So, I'm new to building sabers, but have some experience. I did a search for "Activation box style 8" and Activiation box style 1" but didn't find any matches.

I have a question about Activation box style 8 - I'd like to use it, but I'm a little confused about how
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ac...le-8-P637.aspx and http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Black-Card-P350.aspx

Work together to "activate" the saber... part of my brain is saying: It doesn't actually activate the saber, that I need to install a switch elsewhere and that this is just decor.

Thank you,
    Gawlron
    Last edited by Gawlron; 03-18-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Gawlron,

You are correct in your assumption. If you look closer at the activation box, you'll see that it is made to resemble the original Graflex clamps used in the Star Wars original trilogy sabers. Those sabers had no electronics installed, so there was no need to have a functional switch anywhere on the saber. They were made to look like switches. The black card simply slides into the slot on the activation box, but has no earthly method for moving up or down, so it can't be used in the way we need.

It may be possible to install a touch-lamp style switch on the card, but I have no knowledge or experience along those lines. It only seems like it should work. As a matter of fact, I'd much prefer that setup; it just seems more realistic to me than a push-button switch.

For our purposes, yes, you do need a separate switch. I've seen Luke clones with very cleverly hidden tactiles, strategically positioned near the card, so that it can look like you're using the box to ignite the saber. You might look into that setup. The best Luke ROTJ clone I ever saw, though, had a color-change rotary switch hidden inside the box. To change colors, the user slides back the card and uses a small screwdriver to rotate the dial. It might be a little more dinking around to change colors, but, to me, that feels a lot more like a Jedi fine-tuning his saber, which feels a lot more "real". I don't know where he put the switches on that one.

So, long story short, no. You need a switch. Sad panda, right? Maybe Tim will release a functional version of it if we get enough people asking for it. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Weaver; 03-18-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Because I apparently can't read usernames that well...

Thanks very much, your input was most valuable. I'll look at the other activation boxes that will hold an AV switch.

No problem. If you want my opinion, I like the box which holds two AVs, a RICE, and a Recharge Port. It looks like exactly what it is: A control box. It's also much more streamlined than the Graflex clones, which makes it look more advanced. I can't remember the number (I think it was 13 or 14), but it's my favorite. I like to have all my controls easily accessible.