Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: fau-pa's first saber (erv's petite crouton/ledengin 10w)

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

I'm digging the look of the grips/heat sinks, nice nods to the OT. I say keep them. (Sling Blade voice) That's gonna be a mighty fine piece of saber when you're done, uhhh huh!

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

This whole thing is looking pretty fabulous... nice job, and thanks for sharing!

me like

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

I do have to say. that saber is coming together rather nicely
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) Remember, if we get caught....
    (")_(") You're deaf, and I don't speak english

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I guess the grips will stay. Last thing I need is a PCB and to mill out wire passageways. I am so ready to light this thing up. I hope will have something to show you all this week.

Quote Originally Posted by fau-pa ramid View Post
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I guess the grips will stay. Last thing I need is a PCB and to mill out wire passageways. I am so ready to light this thing up. I hope will have something to show you all this week.
    The good thing about your grips is you've utilized screws on the top and bottom portion of them. So if you arn't to keen on them nearing the completion of your project you can always change them as they are not permanently attached to the saber. Looking good thus far. They look very low profile and comfortable, seems you have made some nice cuts into them aswell making everything symetrical. if you find the rubber is too flimsy try using the pre notched ESB rubber grips. They are very rigid and i'm sure you could make top notches to fit the bottom ones as you've done on your existing ones. Looking forward to seeing more
    A knowledgeable man knows he has limited knowledge.

thank you Impa. they are pretty comfortable and because so much time has been spent on them already i am a bit hesitant to just switch them up. i was looking at the ESB style grips Tim sells in the shop. mine had to be cut to size and while they are very close they are not as uniform as i had hoped they would be. pre made grips seem to be the only way to get them all to be the same.

i just ordered a PLI and a 7.4v PCB from the shop. going to try and get the switch-box squared away this week. i am really hoping that the PLI and two switches will fit in the box. we will just have to see when i get it in the mail. some more updates will be posted up for you guys soon. -Pat

I understand being a perfectionist, but think about resolution... as in, the resolution of a camera's optics, not your resolution to be perfect. When you have this thing in your hand, your hand is going to be covering the grip strips mostly. When you have it hanging on your belt, your clothes are most often going to cover them. When you're photographed holding it, tiny imperfections will be lost to the camera's resolution.

So the only reason to be upset about the grips not matching perfectly is if it's more imperfection than you, personally, as the owner and operator of this beautiful example of the sabersmith's art, can take.

This is a very goond point. I want to minimize he amount of imperfections on the saber as much as possible. They are present and though I will most likely be the only person who notices them. I more or less just want the grips to Match the design. It comes down to the grips looking like they were an afterthought or them actually blending with the saber.

If you were to start carving a statue out of marble and with the intent of puting a necklace on it you would want it to be just as beautifully crafted as the marble. What I am really trying to get at is this: though my statue may not be the most breathtaking it is still marble and i don't want it to look like I placed a macaroni necklace around my statues neck.

Impa's suggestion about getting pre made grips is an excellent one. The only other thing I can think of will be to mold my own. That might be more trouble then its worth though.

Well, I may be a Philistine, but I think your current grips are fabulous. I am not generally a fan of the rubber grips, but yours made me think about making a rubber-gripped one of my own... for a minute.